Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I would like to know what exactly Honda has to say about using automobile tires on their bikes? This is something that has been going on for a while now, and if it is safe to do so, then why is this not OEM by now? I personally would like to hear it from the horses mouth... Any input from Honda would be appreciated!



Note: If this is something previously addressed by Honda, then I would like to have a link to the website where the info is posted... Thanks, Shamus
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
imported post

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Really? Their lawyers would have a hissy-fit if they endorsed CTs on a motorcycle. As has been said numerous times in many places, there is not a tire manufacturer (who owns them?) that would put the R&D into this question to verify a CTs superiority on a touring bike. Money speaks, and there's no money in it for any concerned party.

I continue to search for even a single report of a motorcycle accident where the CT is blamed for the mishap. I am able, however, to find a myriad of stories of mishaps attributed to MT failure and resulting collisions/deaths. Anecdotal evidence causes
greater concern over the use of a MT on the rear of a heavy tourer than for the use of a CT.
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

I think you will see a Honda endorsement of car tires about the same time you see them endorse trailers and hitches.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I do see the points made here, but I really do think that a longer lasting, (and perhaps even safer), tire is in everyones best interest... I'm sure most of you can remember the bias ply tires we used to drive on back in the day that were lucky to get 25,000 on a small care? Now were getting well over 60,000, and with less problems! I'm not at all against using a CT on a motorcycle personally, but unless studies are done and statistics kept, no one has all the facts... I can also tell you that tires have improved a lot for motorcycles since I began riding big bikes. I only used to get a few thousand miles on a rear, and twice that on the front in the early seventies!

Having said all of that, if you still think my questions are unrealistic then I guess we just disagree... I think that Honda can, and should do better!

As for trailers, I pull one, and have not had any problems doing so... That does not mean that everyone is capable of doing so, anymore than I'm capable of keeping up with sport bikes in the twisties. I'll never have those kinds of skills again, (and really don't care to). Everyone is different.

Now relax a little, go take a ride or something... ;-))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
imported post

Shamus,

Its just that us Type A personalities hate being told what we can and can't do. As you must know, the usual intelligent response from a Type A is "Oh yeah, watch me!" Its why we show up earlier in the obits. Its also why Type A's are the most innovative people on the planet. Wonder what they said to the Wright brothers when they said they wanted to fly. If they'd had to get permission from material manufacturers or their lawyers we'd still be looking at the birds and marveling at how they do it. And what about Chuck? Imagine him asking if the manufacturer would stand behind the product and give him assurances he wouldn't explode when he broke the sound barrier.
If we had to wait for 'permission' from Mother Honda for every bobble, piece of bling or modification the world would be a far duller place. And they would be far richer. Mother Honda will not even endorse aftermarket parts.

As to your argument that motorcycle tire technology on TOURING bikes has improved I will agree to disagree. While the tech on car tires has increased their longevity at least 4X since the seventies, the same may not be said of Goldwing tires. I've owned every series but the 1800 and the tech has not even doubled the mileage I get out of a MT. I understand why it is that way. No money in testing/improving such a small market.

If a CT is not in your future I will respect that. But as I posted earlier, until I find even one CT-caused Goldwing accident, I will be an ardent supporter of what I consider to be a superior product. And the MT riders will continue to post threads about their cupped, 'singing', out-of-round, blemished, cracked, shredded, slippery, low mileage rubber.

I'd rather discuss the effectiveness of Deer Whistles. :cheesygrin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

LOL!! I've never said that a CT is not in my future. I just would like to know the facts. As for type A personalities, please don't think that ardent daksiders have the corner on that market! I've always done what feels right for myself, and have many scars, (and story's), to prove it... LOL!!

I would hope that mother Honda isn't too old, (or confident), to learn here? And as for myself, I learn new stuff all the time! Keep it coming... ;-))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
imported post

Wingmaster Shamus wrote:
And as for myself, I learn new stuff all the time! Keep it coming... ;-))
LOL! Glad to hear it. I checked your profile and see you haven't been thru the 'new member' information session.:readit:

Here's step 1:

clickhere

Step 2:

click here

Step 3:

click here

Step 4:

click here

Still with us? CT discussion seems like such a tame thing now, don't it? :D

Ride Safe. :action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

wpgfire wrote:
Wingmaster Shamus wrote:
And as for myself, I learn new stuff all the time! Keep it coming... ;-))
LOL! Glad to hear it. I checked your profile and see you haven't been thru the 'new member' information session.:readit:

Here's step 1:

clickhere

Step 2:

click here

Step 3:

click here

Step 4:

click here

Still with us? CT discussion seems like such a tame thing now, don't it? :D

Ride Safe. :action:
Ah yes, what you are saying is that everyone has an opinion, and to learn you should avoid breathing through your nose? Or is it that one should be careful what they ask for unless they already know the answer... ;-))
 

·
Gregarious Greeter
Joined
·
16,809 Posts
imported post

There have been car tires put on bikes since the 60's that I am aware of. If it has not been studied by now I doubt it ever will be.

I have run a car tire across country on my wing and no problems.

Will never return to a motorcycle tire.

I guess it just comes down to personal choice and preference.

Yea, I pull a trailer also:ROFL:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
There have been car tires put on bikes since the 60's that I am aware of. If it has not been studied by now I doubt it ever will be.

I have run a car tire across country on my wing and no problems.

Will never return to a motorcycle tire.

I guess it just comes down to personal choice and preference.

Yea, I pull a trailer also:ROFL:
I know that it works, and thatthe practicehas been around for a long time..., but I'm not sure why it hasn't beensanctioned by the industry? The only legit reason that I can think of is a safety issue, perhaps only under certain circumstances. My questions here on the forums was never to judge, but only to seek knowledge and information to make that personal choice!



I do appreciate opinions, but would also like the facts in this matter...:gunhead:
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

IMHO it's similar to Darksiders looking for facts on C/T failures while used on motorcycles, there aren't any, Industry is driven by $$$$$$$, if Honda and the tire companies could make more $$$$$ by switching to C/T's I think you would see the results. If it were liability I would think that the number of M/C tires failing in comparison to C/T's failures would be investigated. :?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
IMHO it's similar to Darksiders looking for facts on C/T failures while used on motorcycles, there aren't any, Industry is driven by $$$$$$$, if Honda and the tire companies could make more $$$$$ by switching to C/T's I think you would see the results. If it were liability I would think that the number of M/C tires failing in comparison to C/T's failures would be investigated. :?
I hear what you're saying, but there is a answer out there in my opinion... Everyone knows that large bikes need a better solution, and if that means using C/T's, then the industry should either embrace that, or provide the solution themselves!



It is a matter of safety either way, and consumers are now the ones footing the R&D bill... :watching:
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

You are right, we are doing their work, not getting paid, as soon as they see a profit ......... it'll be a new revelation they discouvered. ;)
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
You are right, we are doing their work, not getting paid, as soon as they see a profit ......... it'll be a new revelation they discouvered. ;)
I think you wasted another 'u' in that post. :cool:
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
96aspencade wrote:
You are right, we are doing their work, not getting paid, as soon as they see a profit ......... it'll be a new revelation they discouvered. ;)
I think you wasted another 'u' in that post. :cool:
Not up here eh ? ;)
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Rudy wrote:
96aspencade wrote:
You are right, we are doing their work, not getting paid, as soon as they see a profit ......... it'll be a new revelation they discouvered. ;)
I think you wasted another 'u' in that post. :cool:
Not up here eh ? ;)
It's always about 'u', isn't it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Rudy wrote:
96aspencade wrote:
You are right, we are doing their work, not getting paid, as soon as they see a profit ......... it'll be a new revelation they discouvered. ;)
I think you wasted another 'u' in that post. :cool:
Not sure what exactly 'U' meant by that?
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

Heuym it's u boy's down thar that only use 1/2 of the letters we are given, U only waste it if U don't use it :cool:
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Heuym it's u boy's down thar that only use 1/2 of the letters we are given, U only waste it if U don't use it :cool:
That's because we have half the teeth we were given. :wtf:
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top