Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, a friend (he seems to know his stuff very well)from another site has told me that he discovered a way to improve the current output of the Gold Wing alternator by modyfying the regulator/rectifier.

Here's what he say's to do: Install, "regulator rectifiers that work with a fully controlled 6-pulse bridge, that means everyone of the three phases of the alternator is symmetrically loaded and both the positive and the negative half of the AC current is rectified and used.
25 to 30 Amps should be possible without damaging the alternator by that method."

Is anyone here familiar enough with charging systems to elaborate on this improvement to the point that they could instruct me on how to actually perform this improvement?

He also said that a place in England called Newtronics has the components availble to do this modification to the Wing's charging system.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Vic

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

What he said to do sounds exactly like the stock design. It has 6 rectifiers and both halves of the phase voltage are used. The stator pulses are already symmetrical, Ive viewed them with oscilloscope. The system is already arranged to source up to 20-30 amps or the main fuse wouldnt be rated that high. Be interesting to see what hes saying to do and see if it actually works, or how it works.

Or, more exactly, how he expects Joe Rider to take that potted regulator apart and modify it! That would be a task for me. :shock:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Dave, that's similar to what I thought also. He hasn't got around to actually doing this yet, but, when he does I'll share it with other Wingers (with his permission)if it proves to be superior to the stock setup.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

I see Paul has a lot to say today!!

The only improvment that can be made to that regulator is to scrap it and design a switching regulator, and thats a major project that wouldnt bring much benefit except a cooler running regulator. Switchers are tough designs.:(

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
I see Paul has a lot to say today!!

The only improvment that can be made to that regulator is to scrap it and design a switching regulator, and thats a major project that wouldnt bring much benefit except a cooler running regulator. Switchers are tough designs.:(
Definitely be more efficient and as you say much cooler operating since as lot less power would be wasted. Goofed up and edited my whole previous post to zilch. Oh well my mind is on other things, hitting the road in a few minutes to drive to Salt Lake City, UT hopefully to pick up an '88 1500.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

A switcher would gain about 20% (?) more efficien than the "linear" regulator in the GL, which is either 20% more electrical current availiable, or that much less stator heat. Couldnt hurt, but not justification to do that much work on a "chance" it would help the stator. 6 month job to design and test it.

If anyone want to hire me to design it, Im availiable.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Yep, already built in. Just like a DC power supply... turns AC into DC then regulates it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.