Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...a spectacularly good 1500, or a spectacularly cheap 1800, or a solid Valkyrie. I still love my Honda ST1300, but my wife loves it less so, and it probably isn't the rig to pull my Aspen camper (although it did pretty well on a trial run last September).

I would have to trade in the ST to afford an 1800, but I might be able to buy a good 1500 or a Valkyrie outright; there's worse things than owning two motorcycles, right? (Although actually it's three if you count my KLR Klattermobile, the swiss knife motorcycle you can repair with a hammer or a vise......but it's time to drop the comprehensive on that baby anyway.....)

Any advice or comments appreciated....

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
I would say go with either the 1500 or 1800, you can't go wrong.

I do know however, that my 89, GL1500 did not tow my trailer as well as the 1200 or the 1800. It did tow it, I just always knew it was back there. Could be many variables that account for that, but they don't exist with the 1200 or the 1800. I would say if you could find a way to swing it, go with the 1800.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I find it comforting to have two bikes. When you run these older bikes, it is nice to have a back-up bike in case one is down for repairs. I'll keep an eye out for one for you. If you find one on Craigslist over in my area you want checked out, let me know.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mel, now that I have both the 1500SE and a Valk Interstate in the garage I can tell you one thing outright - your knees will be colder on the Valk. With the spring (read cold temp) riding we're doing up here it becomes very obvious that the lack of protection between the upper fairing and those 'stick-ons' they call lowers just doesn't keep the cold breeze away. In a hot climate that might be a good thing. Right now in Winnipeg, not so much.

You've seen what we pull with our 1500SE. No problems, as I'm sure many others would agree with their rigs. But that Valk is sure a nice shiny bobble with lots of power. Gas mileage does not compare to the Wing. Give up about 10 mpg.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
1500 or 1800

CJ,
Hey, if it was me and I was making the big jump to a 6 cyl. bike I would go to the 1800 if I could at all.
You get Fuel Injection, better performance, easier rear tire change,.......
There are a lot of things I like better about the 1800 :ssshh:

Anyway that is my $.02 worth about that.... :?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
CJ: I do not know about your area but the last several weeks have been perusing Craigslist and I have been surprised at finding low mileage GL1800's for what seems to be fair pricing. Fair being defined by the buyer and low mileage means below 50k. The model years were 2003-2005. My riding has slacked off a bit due to wife's work schedule and I do not care that much for riding alone. Single up. Anyway have found a lot of 1800's. Was not paying that much attention to 1500's as I already own one.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I always thought that the ST 1300 was an excellent 1 up tourer but the wing was a Two up. Has she ever thought about becoming a rider so you can get a lees expensive and smaller bike for her to ride comfortable. it may make it a little easier to justifiy 3 bikes.
glad to hear that you still enjoy throwing a leg over

·
Premium Member
67,749 Posts
Red's a good sport to having lasted as long as she has on that ST..

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have sat on an ST1300, it was not for me. Bars to low and pegs to high and to far back. Kills my arms, shoulders, neck, knees and ankles. I much prefer the upright "sitting in a chair" position of the Goldwing. I have looked at many 1500s that looked great, but I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that they are so old, and their complexity means many possible things that can go wrong. I can just see spending $6K on one, and winding up with a bad transmission or some other really big problem. And I remember clearly when they first came out. Heck, I remember clearly when the original '80 Interstate came out. I was in love. But unfortunately out of money as well. I have not yet been able to find an 1800 that I can afford. The older ones are now over 10 years old, and many have over 100,000 miles on them, but the price is still way up there. A 10 year old Mercedes would be cheaper. They must be some really great bikes to cost as much as they do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.