Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
I am looking for recommendations regarding in line FM modulators. I have an 85 LTD with a Panasonic radio.

Quality is the main criteria rather than price.

Thank You

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure of your application but I was playing around with one to link a GPS to my radio and didn't like it. There are too many stations around here andI would constantly be changing frequencies to get a clear channel.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Might want to do a forum search. I know back when I first got my bike I was poking around here and a saw a couple posts with pretty good recomendations.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I used a schoche on my LTD and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

Not sure of any brand or model names, it's been a while. I got one and it seems to work pretty well, but I live in the Ozarks - not the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here. ;)

When I was looking to get one, I saw some would disconnect the input from the antenna and switch to the input of the connected device. Unless the radio signal very strong (like next to the tower)the interference is minimal. If you have the device plugged in to bike power you may get an alternator wine. You might get a noise filter when you get the modulator.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Scosche makes one, plugs into the antannae under the seat and has its own on off switch...No problem with station interference or having to change station all the time either like with ones that plug into cig lighter outlet...An in line modulator actually kills the radio antannae feed for you...think the scosche one is around 30 bucks on ebay..

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I use the AudioVox FMM-100A and it works real well for me.
Runs about 50 bucks.

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

When I was using one, I had the Scosche FMMOD01 and never had a problem with stations bleeding in. But instead of tapping into the antenna wire under the seat, Itapped it directlyat the radio. That worked like a charm. I live in a large urban area with a lot of FM stations and still never had an issue. Now Scosche has the FMMOD02. The actual modulator is the same but the interface was simplified and easier to use. It can be found for under $30.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Hey gang,

I have used several and NOTHING compares to having Sierra Electronic install the mod. They did it on my 97 1500 and I absolutely love it.

Check them out to see if they can mod your unit

http://www.sierra-mc.com/
Rick

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

Rick, if you are saying that the sound quality is better with the radio mod than with an inline FM modulator, can you say whether you can hear this improvement when confronted to the ambient noises at highway speeds?

Thanks, Nicholas.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Hey Nicholas,

IMO, yes. I don't have to push the volume as much which in general produces cleaner sound quality. I am able to push my iPod more which is better able to handle it and back off on the bike volume.

I have used the iPod FM transmitter, weak signal and never stayed locked on. Audiovox FMM100 stayed locked on but the added cabling and connectors seemed to always have some kind of static or clicking. The internal mod is soldered in and is rock solid and Sierra does excellent work. And no I am not affiliated with Sierra :)

Keep in mind, speaker quality also plays a huge role. About 3 months after getting the mod, I installed EdSets in a new helmet and they also improved the quality over the 8 year old speakers that were in my old helmets. I am not able to listen to music from the bike speakers at anything above about 40 MPH

Have fun
Rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.