Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Discovered a rusted out swing arm mount on the frame of my 1982 gl1100I. Looking for a good solid frame, perferably with center stand (mine was not so ceremoniously torn off by PO).

thanks,

Todd

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

nope not the same--any 80 tru 83 interstate or std frame--aspencade have differnt monting tabs monted --but the frame can be used.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, both of you, for the replies... Still looking!!!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

wish I would have seen this earlier today.......I will check and see if a guy I deal with is going to be open Saturday, he has some 1100 frames. If not it will be Monday or Tuesday .

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
wish I would have seen this earlier today.......I will check and see if a guy I deal with is going to be open Saturday, he has some 1100 frames. If not it will be Monday or Tuesday .
Hey, thanks nightwizard40, I appreciate it...

Tang45, I've thought about repairs, etc, but I think I'd rather go with an entire frame... if one section is bad, there are likely others. Also, I'm going to have to pull nearly everything to do the repair, so there's not much difference. It was quite a shocker to find, however, and all opinions are 'new frame' from people I've talked to. I almost want to push it off a cliff at the moment!

Thanks again, Todd

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Bump

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks, Mike!

Todd

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,185 Posts
imported post

This is a post I made back in January, hope it helps:

I really wanna put this little tidbit of infomation out there, and I hope this is the right forum for it.

Just about every '82 I ever saw had this..........

The battery breather tube discharges it's acid right there on thewelded bracket that supports the swing-arm, and eventually rots it out, dig at it with a screwdriver to find out if yours is affected, if it is,don't panic!! It's not terminal! you don't have to remove much stuff to get tothat area with an arcwelder, the biggest problem is making a piece of 1/4" steel that shape to weld on over the hole, the first one I made took hours of cutting and filing, but I have a fix for that too.

I'm about to do the job on my bike, and I now have the use of a plasma cutter, so while I'm making one I'll make some spares, let me know if anyoneneeds one, then get you a sealed battery and ride it for another 25 years.

I know it sounds awful, to start digging at what looks (painted over) to be a perfectly good frame but consider the alternative, which is your swing-arm falling out in a 70mph turn.

When it gets light I'll take a photo of my damage, edit it to this post,and you'll see what I mean.

Attached Image (viewed 64 times):

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hey, ChiliDawg, I DO HAVE a mig welder... Problem is that the crossmember attaching the centerstand is also pretty much gone, a combo of rust and stress. The centerstand was removed by PO, but the cross member itself looks pretty shot.

I think I'd like to say I could weld it up, the rest of the frame DOES look to be in pretty good shape... I'd also hate to go to all that work and have continuing issues down the road. HELP ME, I THINK I"M GOING CRAZY!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

TrackT2411 wrote:
Hey, ChiliDawg, I DO HAVE a mig welder... Problem is that the crossmember attaching the centerstand is also pretty much gone, a combo of rust and stress. The centerstand was removed by PO, but the cross member itself looks pretty shot.

I think I'd like to say I could weld it up, the rest of the frame DOES look to be in pretty good shape... I'd also hate to go to all that work and have continuing issues down the road. HELP ME, I THINK I"M GOING CRAZY!!!!
Another invisible post from me ????? My bud says you have NOT contacted him So I guess you don't need one that bad!!!

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
imported post

I have one here in Milwaukee. I've sold the center and side stands. But the frame is otherwise complete with swing arm and drive shaft, also have clear title. It's from an 81 interstate. Tripple tree is still attached but needs the bearings replaced. Can also throw in an extra faring mount, the rear inner fender, possibly a bttery cage and most likely some other parts as well. Would liek to get $200 for it but that is negotiable.

It's sitting under my work bench as I type this. According to Microsoft Streets and Trips I am about an hour and a half west of you. Not sure what the translates to fuel cost for you, but i bet it would be cheaper to come and get it than to ship it.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, it would be nice if folks kept to the same thread instead of jumping around with the same problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.