Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Okay I need some education on batteries and starters. Last week I went to start my 82 GL1100 for the first time since last November. The battery was fully charged. Lights were bright when turned the key but all I got was about 1/2 a revolution of the crankshaft then the dreaded clicking of the solenoid.

Here is what I did from there:
1) Jumpered directly from battery positive to positive post on starter and got nothing but a small spark when contacting the battery post.

next
2) Removed the starter and cleaned up the commutator with steel wool and alcohol. The brushes are almost full length. {the brush set was replaced on it about six years ago by previous owner (my dad)}.
At that time I cleaned up the starter I didn't have a functioning meter so was unable to check resistance between commutators.
- Re-assembled the starter and put back in bike.
- Jumpered again directly from battery and same result as first time, a little spark. For kicks I hooked up battery and tried directly jumping the starter and again the solenoid clicked like crazy.

next
3) Ordered a starter from DB electric and got it tonight.

next
4) Since it was nagging me for the last couple days that I didn't try jumping from my known to be good car battery I decided to try that before unpacking the starter.
Yep, jumping from the car battery (car not running) it spun the starter.

next
5) Since I now had a fresh 9 volt for my meter I was able to check bike battery voltage and is 12.51v, the car battery measured 12.52v.

Soooo, to get to the subject line of my post. If I were to have my bike batt load tested would it indicate not enough current? I guess I was expecting to have the bike battery voltage lower than the 12.51v.

My plan at this moment is to have the battery load tested and expect to be buying a new battery. It is about a 5 year old battery that has wintered in a cold garage each year, maybe I'm lucky with how long it lasted.

I will really appreciate some insights on what I did and what I plan to do.
Thanks,
VK

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
You can do a simple load test yourself.

Hook your volt meter to the battery, turn on the key and press the start button. If the battery voltage drops significantly like to 8 or less volts the battery is likely FUBARED.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I was going to recommend a couple things to do, until I reread the post and realized the battery was 5 years old.........
If it starts the bike today, it probably won't tomorrow.

·
Administrator
27,888 Posts
Remove the spark plugs, turn the kill switch off and try turning the engine over, it may be hydro locked and no starter or battery will turn it until it bends a rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.