Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all-:?:?
I have a 96' GL1500i that has sat for years.
Thought it was time to fix it, so I tore it apart.
Replaced the fuel tank, pump, and sensor as they were all gunked up.
The carb looks clean as a whistle, at least good enough to start it?
Put it all back together, for the most part.
Now there is no spark and the fuel pump dose not appear to be pumping.
I suspect an electrical issue.
Coils and spark regulator OHM out fine.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
TheDude

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Just off the top of my head, fuses, relays, kill switch, bank angle sensor. These are good places to start.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

If your battery is anything but top notch in charge, it will crank, but not fire. Could even be a bad connection at a connection block somewhere. I hope we can all get it figured out! jimsjinx

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Kill switch it will cut power to the coils and the fuel pump if its not in the off position you may need to open it and bypass for to start the bike

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Hello :waving:If it sat for years. There is something called junk yard rot. If it ran when you parked it . Start by un plugging electrical connections, BE careful of tabs on connectors, removing fuses. One at a time of course . Clean connection, with elec spray cleaner. put back together. Now you will have good clean connections. No voltage drop or loss and you will be more familiar with your bike. You should buy the service manual plus the book on electrical:readit: for your year model of bike as the elec book breaks down each system individually Now if you still dont have power :sadguy:You know the connections are good:cheesygrin: . Time for the volt meter

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

You said the carbs are clean. Is that the outside or inside of it? Did you tear them apart? You said the fuel tank had gunk in it. What about the carbs? Jets could be plugged.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Like all above check fuses and connectors . How is the fuel flow? Do you have a full stream throuh the fuel pump? Do you have fuel a clean sock on the pump.
Fuel air fire ? Hope it helps.
Gary

·
350 Posts
imported post

pour some seafoam in the carbs and let it work and also in the tank.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Wow, Thanks for all the support!
I appreciate all the input!

-I have checked ALL the fuses-master and fuse box.
-How do you test the relay's? I have the Clymer service manuel and they only say to replace damaged relay? There are 3 other relays that appear to be the same, I have swaped them around w. no avail.
-Where is the Bank Angle sensory? No referance in the Clymer index?
-I feel everything is grounded as it cranks, lights, and horn work?
-Got excited as I never thought about the Kill Switch...
I took it apart and clamped the two connectors together w. vice grips-nothing.
-I have a volt meter and all the connections look good.
-The carbs look clean inside as well. I have to taken them completley apart, but it really looks clean. Not that it will not require a complete rebuild, but I just want to hear this bike fire!
-Friends have mentioned SeaFoam-I will try it out.
-Bought a new fuel pump and gas tank-NO FLOW.

Thanks for your thoughts!!!
Nice to have some new friends in a time of need!
Jeff

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome TheDude[/align]

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Well you have to find if its no spark or no fuel. If you get the topperware off and remove the air cleanner spray some car started fluid from an arousal into the carb plenum area. It will fire if there is spark then it will run on this for a few seconds.
Also check plugs for spark. I have nor much experiance with 1500 but I imagine you can run a hotwire to the ignition system to get it to fire and run
Wilf

·
751 Posts
imported post

DOC1500 wrote:
pour some seafoam in the carbs and let it work and also in the tank.
Seafoam is ok but in your situation I would use BG44k Is is a bit stronger so I would use the BG44k then follow up with seafoam ! The Bg44k
is found here at advanced auto its about $23.00 a can but well worth it ! also your gm /ford Tech shops use bgproducts ! My 2 cents worth & good-luck !

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Trying to read between the lines, [shadow=red]Now there is no spark and the fuel pump dose not appear to be pumping.[/shadow]

I am assuming that the starter is turning? just no fuel, and no spark? I have the manual on my desk and will be glad to try and help, just trying to understand where you are at with your process.:?The bank angle sensor is under the trunk on the right side, and if you had the tank out, you had your hands on it

Ben

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Ben,

Yes indeed, the starter spins the enging and it appears to have good compression.

I have not tested the compression, but it only has 33K miles and it ran when it was parked.

Just no spark and no fuel.

I have tried some starter fluid-nothing.

I have replaced all the spark plugs, but not the wires.........

I think I found the bank angel sensor, is there a way to test it?

Any advice would be awesome.

Thanks,

Jeff:stumped:

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

I think I found the bank angel sensor, is there a way to test it?

should be a green connector, three wires going to it,white wire should have 12 volts on it from fuse number 12 which is actually inside the relay box, it is only a 5 amp fuse, grren wire straight to ground on the frame, above the dipstick, red with a white tracer goes to relay #1, and relay 1 is in the engine stop circuit, so in your testing did you find 12 volts at the stop switch?

Also tell me about the lights on the dash when you turn the ignition on, what lights up?

"the bank angle sensor is normal if relay number 8 clicks when the ignition is turned on" according to the manual. between the red/white and green should read 0-1 volt, between the white and green should read 10-14 volts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Shows an interstate, don't think he has a reverse

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

I have to ask , do you have it up on center stand with side stand up ? if so then put side stand down. make shure battery has full charge 13.6 volts.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Don't know if you have checked all the fuses, and I am not sure what lights are on the dash for the interstate, assuming you have the side stand down light, neutral light, oil, etc, also the ignition control unit is on the right side of the bike, above the dip stick, pull those connectors apart and check them, check for voltage at the fuel pump connector, should be 12 volts momentarily when you turn ignition on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.