Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 76 gl1000 has been in my garage for 15 years. Timeing belts for sure need changed. Is there anything else you guys recommend? I overhauled the carbs and it is running. Should I overhaul entire engine, new gaskets, valve job, anything like that?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Flush ALL the fluids. oil, brake, coolant, etc. Flushing the crankcase with a standard engine flush wouldn't hurt either. I just finished mine and it may just be my imagination but she seems happier! ;)

Good luck - listen to the GURU's - great advice and I am sure there are other things that need some TLC.

Mike

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Also check the airbox for varmits (spiders, mice, etc.). Don't forget to change the final drive fluid as well. Also closely check tires for any out of round or flat spots before making any extended rides. Happy trails.

Billy

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Turn the engine over by hand as well, just to make sure the piston rings aren't rusted to the cylinders.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Did you store it with a full tank of gas? If not then your tank isprobably full of rust. Regardless change your gas filter. When the tank is nearly empty shine a flashlight down into it and look for rust.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

after standing still for that length of time, it would be wise to remove the wheels flush out all the grease from bearings and final drive and refresh with new. Change the tyres for new, Max life for tyres is 5-10years if preserved properly, why risk your life.

As you've already started the engine, add some oil seal renovator to the engine oil to soften up any hardened seals. use a thinner engine oil for the first 200 miles to flush out oilways etc.

flush out the radiator and cooling system. When filling add something like Barrs fluid which seals leaks and lubricates seals and pumps.

Don't forget things like brakes lights etc before you hit the road

but most of all ENJOY

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
Turn the engine over by hand as well, just to make sure the piston rings aren't rusted to the cylinders.
He's already sterted the engine Ted, so its obviously not seized. Someone mentioned tyres. They are bound to be dry and hard, I'd get rid of them straight away.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

I know it was stated but do check the air box. I had a mouse nest in mine:?and it only sat 4 years.

Got it all sucked out with a vacuum cleaner but when i started it up for the first time a mouse nest blew out the exhaust pipe:cheeky1:

Pat

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
I know it was stated but do check the air box. I had a mouse nest in mine:? and it only sat 4 years.

Got it all sucked out with a vacuum cleaner but when i started it up for the first time a mouse nest blew out the exhaust pipe:cheeky1:

Pat
hope you made sure none of them mice babies went through the engine.... man that has got to hurt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.