Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I amcurious as to whywith all Honda's amazing advanced technology, they cant seem to overcome the relitivly simple issueof a accurate speedo. I have been wondering about this for a while, you would think a $30,000.00 bike (Canadian) would have an accurate speedo.I did manage to come up with at least two possible reasons.

1 Apparently Honda isn't the only one to do it, so maybe it's to make the MPG look better on such a big bike

2 The Govt. allows it to fool us into thinking we are going faster then we are and then maybe be happy with that.

I actually had one other theory, that whole, fear of a tear in the space time continuum thing. I am still working on that one.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

As far as speedo's, My 1800 has a far mor accurate speedo than most. It appears to be about 3% out. I cant remember whether it is low or high but compared to my old Kawi Vulcan, Its pretty good. The Kawi's are noted to all be out by as much as 10 %. Go figure

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

I know the Yamaha Vstar's are out as much as 10%. I have not checked my 93 GL1500, but my "seat of the pants"belief is that it overstates. I'm not sure what the reason is, but I think it is intentional.

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I think on the CANADIAN bikes the speedo is in miles BUT the tripometer is in km ,,If you read your hand book on the Canadian spec ,I think it says it in it ..cheers Ciaran:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
imported post

I think my 83 GL1100 runs a little fast....at least according the the neighborhood radar detector signs that remind you how much you are speeding...

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

wexman wrote:
I think on the CANADIAN bikes the speedo is in miles BUT the tripometer is in km ,,If you read your hand book on the Canadian spec ,I think it says it in it ..cheers Ciaran:waving::waving:
Actually we have been all metric for a long time. They still show MPH on the speedo in a secondary scale around the speedo, but the primary scale and the distance are all in kilometers. When I think about it, I was riding with a friend a month or two ago and he has a GPS and mentioned that he saw the speedo on my 85 Aspencade read 109 KPH when his GPS was reading 100KPH, so I guess it's not something new to the 1800.I guess the upside is when the LEO asks as they always do " Do you know how fast you were going?" I can honestly say "Nope , haven't got a clue":D:D
:santahat::santahat::baffled:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Thats usually the way with speedos, even on cars they read a bit on the optimistic side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.