Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

He called from four blocks away telling me he had some little part he needed mended. Aluminum and very fragile. I don't know what the thing fits but it appears to be a dual cable anchor probably mounted on a carburator. I cleaned it and clamped it and mended it. Done. Like I said, I don't know what it's off of. Probably something devoted to lightness and performance. In that world everything is expendable to reduce weight. If it were mine to design I would have endured another 1/2 ounce and made a bracket that wouldn't break.
Then he called and I asked him. He said it came from something very rare and exotic. I told him I was finished and he should come get the thing.
He brought a Honda Mini Trail 50 tail lamp assembly which had cracked. I'm supposed to mend that now. There's one thing about it. Even if you're only half assed at something, if you do it for free you'll always be busy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

With your rates, it's a shame you're so far away. I'm sure I could keep you busy!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

TominDallas wrote:
There's one thing about it. Even if you're only half assed at something, if you do it for free you'll always be busy.

Ain't it the truth. Eventually, getting good at something does have a price though.

It's all about trying. Anybody can do nothing.. :smiler:

Edit: Today I pulled a 3 year-olds sock from the pump in my neighbors washing machine. Ever tried getting the key to a chinese puzzle? My key was YouTube. Working on the mechanicals is the easy parts. Getting to the mechanicals by pulling the body of the washer off its base was easy - once I watched the video of how to do it. Gotta love the Internet...

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

TominDallas wrote:
There's one thing about it. Even if you're only half assed at something, if you do it for free you'll always be busy.
Boy aint that the truth!!! Got a call from a friend last night, she wants me to come over and put running boards on her truck.....

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Today I pulled a 3 year-olds sock from the pump in my neighbors washing machine.
OMG, . . I know the feeling.

Last week went to a customer/friends home for washer drum locking up. After splitting the drum case (jez, Kenmore) found one of his white socks wedged near the soap filler inlet. Got it up and running again through 2 test cycles.

I mentioned where's the other sock? "DUNNO, never showed up." he says. Inside I'm fretting I'll be called again soon.

JUST two days later I get that call. "The machine is working fine but now the pump won't discharge the water."
Off I go & pull the pump. I open it up. . .you guessed it, the other sock.

GOLLIES I'm starting to wonder about these front loaders and that gaping space around the drum. :whip:

:action:WASH ON

OH, this forum's point.

Learn a trade where many just can't do or learn. . . you're set for life.
I can mend aluminum "up to" the point of extreme stress.

Sure wish I could afford those trades tool.

:action:WELD ON

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...His Wifey had been going to the Laundromat for the last two months because of that darn sock. And YEP, ..that space between the tub and the drum is how it got down into the pump.

I went at it blind on the first try. No luck in figuring how to get the body off the frame. Joined a appliance repair forum, gave specifics, waited for response, and SHA-ZAMM! - works just like this forum.

I may not know much, but I do know how to ask a question in this day and age of Techno-Wizardry.

Gotta try, right?. I just don't want the word to get out that I know how to ask a question.. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.