Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

78 Gl1000. I've tuned the bike to spec, checked and re-checked valve clearances, (electronic) ignition timing, carb synch, plugs. The bike is getting lower mileage (28-30 mpg) than when i first got it (it had sat for months, but still got 38-40mpg). Only thing i can think of is maybe a stuck float -- i have run a couple of bottles of Techron, maybe it loosened up some junk which jammed open the floats. Maybe a stuck carb puck/piston?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

Mag

Does this year have the idle air valves? My 82 wing does 4 of them boogers and they weretrashed stuck in their holes and the diagrams were like swiss cheese. I was getting real crumby mileage until I changed them out. Good Luck!

Norman

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
78 Gl1000. I've tuned the bike to spec, checked and re-checked valve clearances, (electronic) ignition timing, carb synch, plugs. The bike is getting lower mileage (28-30 mpg) than when i first got it (it had sat for months, but still got 38-40mpg). Only thing i can think of is maybe a stuck float -- i have run a couple of bottles of Techron, maybe it loosened up some junk which jammed open the floats. Maybe a stuck carb puck/piston?
Mag, make sure the brakes aren't dragging (a big reason the older Wings get bad mileage).

Also check the air cleaner for dirt or mouse nests.

If all OK maybe it's just the weather, or you are still using winter gasoline in your area.

Cold starts & thicker cold engine oil really takes it's toll on fuel economy. If it's colder out now than when you were getting the 38-40mpg wait until it warms up to check again. On my 1200I only get about 33-34 mpg in the colder months while just riding short trips to work & town.

Remember, the longer you leave the enrichener on the worse the fuel mileage.

Another thing to look at; is the temp gauge coming up to normal? If not maybe your thermostat isn't functioning properly (that will really effect fuel mileage)

Twisty

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

There is one air cut valve. I changed the main diaphragm, but couldn't get the little o-rings underneath.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi twisty,

Brakes may be dragging. Also, check on the warmup use of fuel.

My tire pressure was low in the back. Both tires say 41psi max. Front is 36, back is now 36 -- was 27.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.