Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I mentioned in an earlier thread that I was very disappointed in the gas mileage on my 98' GL 1500 trike. I had checked it several times on the freeway at 70 - 75 and only got 28 almost every time. Some mentioned that this was normal driving over 70...others said I should be getting mid to high 30's.

I also mentioned that I could smell gas while the trike was just ideling. Reading everything I could several said that the diaphrams in the fuel cutoff valve were bad about going bad and that could be one reason.

I talked to a mechanic near my house and told him that my trike was running great...not missing...ideled at 800 rpm without missing a lick...had plenty of power but I could smell a bit of gas and my mileage sucked. He said your fuel cutoff valve probably needs rebuilding. He ordered the part and I took it in to him yesterday moring and got it back that afternoon.

I filled up before I left this morning and took it for a ride early before traffic got too bad and before the rain set in. I drove the normal 70 - 75 and filled up again when I returned. This time I got 32 1/2 mpg...that is much better....next trip I'm going to keep the speed below 70 and see what it will do although I don't see me driving below 70 here in the Houston traffic.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

When the diaphragm is bad, it'll weep fuel, when both diaphragms are bad it'll allow the fuel to be drawn unmetered into the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.