Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 950cc air-cooled and it's already hot.

So I wonder what it's like with the Indian 1800+ cc and air-cooled ...

And the Yamaha Venture is copying that ...

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I love and have always loved Indian Motorcycles for their awesome styling and oh those valenced fenders but Indian should just bite the bullet and liquid cool the engine... Any decent touring machine has to be liquid cooled to meet the varied demands of the serious tour rider...

I would love to own one some day in the future (Indian Chief Vintage) but for serious touring, I'll stick with the liquid cooled flat 6 Honda motor which IMO is the most bullet proof motor on the market today...

·
Banned
500 Posts
like harley, and probably others, they cannot tune the engine correctly or they violate epa. harley has had the same trick for years.
lower engine rpm for the drive by test. this is done without considering the engine luggs hard in high gear at highway speed.

retard timing at cruise to build heat in exhaust to supplement the cat converters.

lean tuning to less than stoich

add funny plastic wing thingy under the boys to keep from scorching

shut down rear cylinder and call it "parade mode" no joke!

tell customer "they all do that"

tell customer warranty will be voided if customer corrects problem.

finally, they are getting liquid cooling effective.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Rear cly shutdown.

I'll never own a "modern" motorcycle that has to use Rube Goldberg engineering to make it comfortable to ride.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts

·
Banned
500 Posts
Just a "tad' different than the '49 Indian I rode in the 1950's.................!!

The 2019 Indian was featured in Rider magazine this month.

yeah, they finally put the throttle on the right side. and made em ugly. look at that polaris influence. do they break often?

·
Registered
360 Posts
But you get a kool radio, the whole add is about the large screen. You can complain all you want about the 2018 Goldwing but if I was buying a new bike it would be a HONDA! The size of the bags on the new Goldwing is not a big deal, just take less stuff. It is a lot better than burning up the end side of your leg from all the heat a V twin makes and to think someone thinks having the bike run on one cylinder at stop signs will make a difference they have never lived in California. I'm begin to think my Old Lady is right, I'm a Crabby old Man now, but this stuff pisses me off. LOL

·
Banned
500 Posts
But you get a kool radio, the whole add is about the large screen. You can complain all you want about the 2018 Goldwing but if I was buying a new bike it would be a HONDA! The size of the bags on the new Goldwing is not a big deal, just take less stuff. It is a lot better than burning up the end side of your leg from all the heat a V twin makes and to think someone thinks having the bike run on one cylinder at stop signs will make a difference they have never lived in California. I'm begin to think my Old Lady is right, I'm a Crabby old Man now, but this stuff pisses me off. LOL

see, that is the deal. v-twins actually run cooler than liquid cooled , once fixed. make a ton of power, last a long time and get over 50 mpg. but H-D cant sell H-D accessories if they acknowledge the facts. and accessories is the real business they are in. well, that and fake bikers.

·
Banned
500 Posts
like harley, and probably others, they cannot tune the engine correctly or they violate epa. harley has had the same trick for years.
lower engine rpm for the drive by test. this is done without considering the engine luggs hard in high gear at highway speed.

retard timing at cruise to build heat in exhaust to supplement the cat converters.

lean tuning to less than stoich

add funny plastic wing thingy under the boys to keep from scorching

shut down rear cylinder and call it "parade mode" no joke!

tell customer "they all do that"

tell customer warranty will be voided if customer corrects problem.

finally, they are getting liquid cooling effective.

motorcyclists cant say balls? wow

·
Administrator
57,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
make fun of it if you will, but received a report that this being a family oriented forum, we should not slide down into the depths of faceless book.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I had the opportunity 3 years ago to ride another fella's Indian Chief while he rode my GL1500 in the Cody, WY area for half a day. I really liked the look of the bike, incredible paint job!, and it rode well. Enjoyed the ride. But I wouldn't want one, I mean to own and ride all the time. Much preferred the 1500 for handling, quiet operation and overall FEEL. Then again, it was MY bike! I would never want to own an air-cooled motorcycle again; what's the point, for a touring bike?

·
Banned
500 Posts
I had the opportunity 3 years ago to ride another fella's Indian Chief while he rode my GL1500 in the Cody, WY area for half a day. I really liked the look of the bike, incredible paint job!, and it rode well. Enjoyed the ride. But I wouldn't want one, I mean to own and ride all the time. Much preferred the 1500 for handling, quiet operation and overall FEEL. Then again, it was MY bike! I would never want to own an air-cooled motorcycle again; what's the point, for a touring bike?

the point would be to tour, like in olden days, while being able to repair on the side of the road. air cooled is simple and fewer parts to fail. air cooled bikes will run as long as water cooled will, longer without the first breakdown, in most cases. touring once meant you could keep riding a motorcycle every day while doing your own maintenance. living in thwe country, not a trip to see the country. then comes the "image" and the weekend trippers who ride to the dealerships to get their run pins and a new patch for their vest. ohh, and more farkles!

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
the point would be to tour, like in olden days, while being able to repair on the side of the road. air cooled is simple and fewer parts to fail. air cooled bikes will run as long as water cooled will, longer without the first breakdown, in most cases. touring once meant you could keep riding a motorcycle every day while doing your own maintenance. living in thwe country, not a trip to see the country. then comes the "image" and the weekend trippers who ride to the dealerships to get their run pins and a new patch for their vest. ohh, and more farkles!

Gee, you make a compelling case for air-cooled! And you didn't even the best part: Fried shins and nuts!:surprise::laugh:

·
Banned
500 Posts
Gee, you make a compelling case for air-cooled! And you didn't even the best part: Fried shins and nuts!:surprise::laugh:[/QUOTE
properly built and tuned, there is no heat to fry anything. in contrast, every liquid cooled motorcycle will cook your cookies ever time you stop in traffic. you have no argument.

fact is, you cannot properly build and tune a goldwing! so they will always be hot. its by design.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Gee, you make a compelling case for air-cooled! And you didn't even the best part: Fried shins and nuts!:surprise::laugh:[/QUOTE
properly built and tuned, there is no heat to fry anything. in contrast, every liquid cooled motorcycle will cook your cookies ever time you stop in traffic. you have no argument.

fact is, you cannot properly build and tune a goldwing! so they will always be hot. its by design.

Well, believe whatever you want. My opinion is based on 45 years of riding lots of air-cooled and several water-cooled bikes and I'll take the latter. Just personal preference.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts