Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
24,500 Posts
all air cooled bikes are hotter than any of the Goldwings I have owned... period.

I agree completely. claydbal would argue that the world is flat & the sun comes up in the west.

·
Administrator
21,895 Posts
The world is flat. Anybody with eyes can see that!

A teacher once told me the world was spinning. I proved her wrong by jumping as high as I could and coming back down in the same spot I jumped from.

So, there! :raspberry:

·
Magic Moderator
4,261 Posts
I think as long as you're talking about roasting on a V-twin or a Wing, may I suggest a real heat generator a Boss Hoss. I'm 5'3" and when they had demo rides of the trikes at Bike Week I had to give it a try, I wish I had Nomex pants on as I did not find it a fun trike.

·
Banned
500 Posts
i think yall misseed the part about properly built and tuned.

now, some one tell me a water colled bike doesnt blow hot air at you when the fan kicks on in city traffic.

please

someone.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The world is flat. Anybody with eyes can see that!

A teacher once told me the world was spinning. I proved her wrong by jumping as high as I could and coming back down in the same spot I jumped from.

So, there! :raspberry:
You have to jump into the spin!

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
24,500 Posts
i think yall misseed the part about properly built and tuned.

now, some one tell me a water colled bike doesnt blow hot air at you when the fan kicks on in city traffic.

please

someone.
OK, it don't.

·
Banned
500 Posts
ok, i see. yall would rather lie than admit wrong. everyone who has ever ridin a liquid cooled motorcycle has felt the excess heat after stopping in traffic.a cbr1000rr or gxr or r1 will make you want to abandon ship. ther e is a whole cottage industry to provide accessories because of this problem.

for the record, i came here to decide if i wanted to invest time and money to ride a goldwing. the low center of gravity and low seat height combined with storage space had me really considering it.

but there is always that camaraderie thing.............................................

·
Administrator
21,895 Posts
Okay, I'll step in. We know hot here. The cold water that comes out of our faucets is hotter than your average summer temps. That is a fact. So...

...the truth is, when riding my '87 GL1200, in summer, in traffic, I can't tell if the fan comes on. There may be a difference with the sixes, with their dual radiators, but I don't have any real knowledge of them. But, when it's 105 + and you're sitting in traffic, the asphalt under you tires is supplying plenty of heat and the sun bakes you from the other side.

Having a motor that's running over 200° between your legs surely makes things worse, no matter what brand you're riding. But, I really don't think the fan makes it that much hotter.

Now, if you feel my lack of comradery (that's Webster's spelling) is offensive, well...

·
Banned
500 Posts
yeah, i went to public school in louisiana, and spell check must have missed that one.

i guess in 115 degree weather , you dont feel the differential i do at 100. i have had to monitor head temps on bikes on the dyno to keep the engine safe. i have recorded so many both air and liquid cooled and both will , at times, need to be shut down because of overheating. so, theres that.

i knew a guy in prescott arizona, he did tuning in an air conditioned dyno cell.

my whole point of this is that when you tune an air cooled engine towards best performance, you eliminate the built in fail points that have to be there to satisfy epa.

water cooled is designed to maintain a constant temperature to insure the tune stays the same, usually around 220F. a well tuned air cooled will stay around that temp if operated outside the city...........

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
I am just now seeing this thread so I am a couple days late to the party.
But allow me to kick this dying horse once more;

So obviously there are several factors that play a vital role in all this.
Not the least of which is ambient temp.

But in a side-by-side comparison, all other factors being equal such as off-the-floor-factory original, no aftermarket do-dads...

Ambien temp of lets say 80-90 degrees F, at a set run speed of 3000rpm, either level or on the side stand, WITHOUT added air flow from aux shop fans...which would seize up first?
An air cooled or a water cooled?

Any takers?

Jim.

·
Administrator
57,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I am just now seeing this thread so I am a couple days late to the party.
But allow me to kick this dying horse once more;

So obviously there are several factors that play a vital role in all this.
Not the least of which is ambient temp.

But in a side-by-side comparison, all other factors being equal such as off-the-floor-factory original, no aftermarket do-dads...

Ambien temp of lets say 80-90 degrees F, at a set run speed of 3000rpm, either level or on the side stand, WITHOUT added air flow from aux shop fans...which would seize up first?
An air cooled or a water cooled?

Any takers?

Jim.

I'm guessing the air cooled will seize first, the water cooled will be a bit slower as the water is not circulating and contains a volume that must be heated to the seizing point.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts