Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As you can see this isn't a motorcycle but it has a Harley or an Indian flat head for power. The photo is of my Dad in the late forties. This thing would do 40mph :action:but I am not sure how you would steer it.....:baffled:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

If you look very closely just in front of the engine you will see the steering legs on each side along with the connecting rod between the legs, they look like they were taken from another snowmobile and put on the wide wood ski. Secondly if you look you will also see a small sliding/steering ski below the bottom board of the large ski just under the left ski leg. This machine would work well on hard pack snow but with the solid wood ski on each side running along beside the rubber track it would be a devil of a thing in soft snow as the skis would hold the unit up in soft snow and maybe just spin the track in the air in my opinion unless there was enough up and down play in the track frame.That is why we see todays machines with the floor boardway upabove the bottom of the track and with track movement up and down the track will sink down and grab traction in softer snow. If there is enough track play on the track in the picture so it would reach down and grab snow the very large wide ski at the front should ride along pretty smoothly and reduce the bumps of uneven drifted snow. You must admit it looks like a great mix of various pieces of equipment to go out and have fun on.

Jack

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I don't think the engine is an Indian, barrels don't seem wide enough, perhaps a shovel head.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

hello, the motorcycle motor is an Indian flathead. look closely and you'll see the primary cover on the lower side of the motor case. then you'll notice the air cleaner is on that side also. Indians put the carb facing the left side,whereas Harley faced right ...and still do!

best to all

Robin

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Bingo, your right but... look at the barrel thickness, Indians have a much heavier cylinder casing???

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I don't know what it is, I don't care what it is, I just want it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

There was one of those thangs in the recently closed Indian Museum in Springfield, MA. Supposedly Indian actually made them. It was HUGE. They also had outrigger skis for your winter motoring pleasure. Oh yeah, and a car--and an airplane engine. It was a great grimy, dingy place.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.