Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

POP quiz for all you 81 wing riders, what rpm should I expect to be turning at 70 MPH. I show an indicated 4750 in fifth at 70mph. Seems a little high, clutch slippage maybe. Thought it might be a couple of hundred rpm's off. I know they reconfigured later 1100's gear boxes to combat the higher R's at speed, but still seems excessive.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Sounds about right. The '83 turns less than 4000 at 70 mph. If the RPM is consistent, the clutch isn't slipping. If it was, you'd be replacing the clutch right now. There is very little meat on the clutch discs as it is.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

81 and 83 have different ratios on the differential / rear tire size is different, expect lower rpm on 83, anyway your 81 rpm seems right.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
81 and 83 have different ratios on the differential / rear tire size is different, expect lower rpm on 83, anyway your 81 rpm seems right.
:waving:In '83 1st gear was lowered forbetter pulling power and 5th gear was made taller for high mileage and effortless highway cruising. Tire size was the same on the '82 & '83: 18"front & 16" wheels rear. The '80 & '81 had 19" wheels front with 17" wheels rear.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
The majority of the difference between the '81 and '83 is in the final drive of the transmission. Especially secondary reduction and 5th gear.

The differential and tire size make very little difference, they may actually cancel each other out, since the '83 tire has a smaller rim size.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Thats about what my 81 is running at 70 on the speedometer, which checking it by radar and GPS actually moving at 75mph......when I first got the bike and got out on the interstate, I thought it was going to blow, but the more I rode it the more I got used to it, plus checking on the forum and found out thats where its normal at. Now I'm having to get used to my 82 running at a little lower than that at 70:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks folks, My lady tells me I must be getting a lot of reverb from the fairing, she doesn't hear what I hear from her end of the cockpit. I have slipped some sound deading material from some old body panels that whe have laying around the shop into the fairing recesses, man what a difference in the noise reduction. Next assignment, fuel mileage............can't break the thirties. No brake drag, average road speed, 65mph. Good compression, cherry set of carbs. Can't have every thing I suppose.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

My 81 gl has been running 4000 rpm @ 60 mph since I drove away from woods honda in austin tx. 28 yrs ago. I can't say what the r's are @ 70mph at the moment, but if they are [email protected] 60 mph it's correct, believe me!

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

It sounds about right at 70 mph. It took a while to get used to the higher RPM's But she will run like that all day long and get about 43 mpg doing it.

It still doen't stop me from trying to shift into that elusive sixth gear, You would think after thousands of miles I would stop trying. Maybe one day after trying thousands of times I will find that sixth gear and the RPM's will drop way down and I will start looking for the seventh gear :cheeky1::cheeky1:

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

My 1982 is about 4k rpm at 60mph, so you're about right.

Ride 45-55 mph on rural roads and you will probably see 40+mpg. Gas consumption is quite a bit more above 55mph and in the traffic stop and go, you know it will be bad.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I've been looking for that elusive 6th gear for ever too! Sure would be nice to have one. Just think of the mileage we could get. 43ish with 5 gears maybe 50 with a 6.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

That's what my '81 runs at that speed. Higher than I would like, but not hurting the bike in any way! As for your mpg, I'm surprised to hear you are only getting 30+ mpg. My '04 1800 gets 38 mpg. My '81 regularly got 46-50 mpg depending on riding style and speed. I usually push it hard andstill got around the 46 mpg mark. You might check into a carb tune up, plugs, wires, etc for you should get much better than that.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I put a 83 rear wheel,diff and swing arm, along with the 83 froks and 83 front wheel on my 81 and it still runs 4000r's @60 mph. I did the swap 20 yrs ago with 47k on the bike and now she has 110+k on it. 20 yrs ago I didn't have a forum or any guru's to ask if it would work, I just went and got r did, and it all fit like a glove.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.