Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone, I have something that I am thinking about doing and would like your thoughts on it. So please bear with me on this and be honest with me. I have a 1976 GL1000 with Vetter fairing and I also have a trunk and hard bags that came with another bike that I have since traded for yet another GL1000 (a 1975), the 1975 is a custom job and the guy put a heck of a lot of work into the bike. I have yet to pick it up and make the switch. But what I was thinking is would it be at all possible to trade the two GL1000's for a 1200 Aspencade, say a 1985 or so? My better half doesn't like the looks of the older Wings and I have to agree they arn't as nice as the newer Wings but I am on a fixed income and can't afford to finish either bike the way I would like. So if I could find a trade then I would take it. The Gl1000 that I have here isn't running as of yet and I am not a mechanic by any stretch and the other bike looks some what like a cafe racer and has been converted to run on a single 32 carb. When I got my present Wing, the 1976, I got a plastic tote with extra shocks and other items in it. The guy had converted it to a trike and then converted it back to the way it was. Had it painted and it sat for a few years in a barn. I also got 2 wheels with tires from an 82 Wing that he gave me at the same time as well. But Like I said, I would like to find a trade for a newer Wing like a mid to late 80's Wing. Any thoughts on this either pro or con? Here is a pic of my 1976 GL1000 with the tank sides off. Thanks and God Bless
Carl

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

A trade is possible if you find the right person, but I would think that if both bikes were running that you have, and you do some cosmetic work to them, they would fetch perhaps $1200 each, maybe more, maybe less but that would give you the cash to find a decent mid 80's 1200.

I live just south of you and I know you can get a 1200 for around that number that will run and ride. I paid $3000 for mine with 8500 miles....... Which also means I need to replace a lot of stuff...... But there out there

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Just checked the local Craigs List and there are 3 in the local area here that are selling in the mid $2000 range.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I think you will have a hard time making that deal. Perhaps part each one out and then take the money and buy a 1200?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I realize many members here have them and love them, but I would avoid the fuel injected LTD/SEI. I have about 40 hours into mine (just the fuel injection) and know it pretty well. It is not difficult to work on, but there are no parts available. I gave up and am making some of my own parts. Hopefully will have it back together and running in the next week or two, but I now wished I had bought a carbed bike.

Other than the fuel injection the 1200 is a great bike, but to me the 1100 Interstate has a classier look. The 1200 has a bit to much of an integrated look for me. I guess it all depends on what you like.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Post a want to trade in your local Graigs list. You never know, some times guys with older bikes like to do some trading just to ride something different. Some one may have a 1200 that isn't their "main" ride and may be looking for something to play with. Shoot, sounds pretty tempting to me, I could set one up as my touring bike and the other as my hot rod wing :)

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Here is the other Goldwing, the 1975 model that I have. The one that has been customed up a bit. It has new belts and all in it. Has had the single carb mod done to it and a bunch of other stuff. This pic was taken when he was working on it. It is a complete bike but I am going to try to finish it out or trade it as is. It now has wheels on it and a custom fender with lights molded into it. Thanks and God Bless

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.