Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

'Mornin'! On my 1500 SE, there is a little round dial near the right arm-rest of the passenger seat with the word "heat" written on it. Can anyone tell me what that's for?

ALSO: when putting gas stabilizer (Sta-bil to be specific), should I run the motor for a minute before shutting it down for the winter to let the gas stabilizer get in the gas lines & carbs?

Thank you in advance for your replys.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

happer wrote:
'Mornin'! On my 1500 SE, there is a little round dial near the right arm-rest of the passenger seat with the word "heat" written on it. Can anyone tell me what that's for?

ALSO: when putting gas stabilizer (Sta-bil to be specific), should I run the motor for a minute before shutting it down for the winter to let the gas stabilizer get in the gas lines & carbs?

Thank you in advance for your replys.
Heat..? It MAY (?) be for a plug in type electric vest or jacket liner...?

Stabil - YES run it for a while (I take mine out for a 10 mile ride). You need to get the Stabilizer into the carbs and throughout the lines. Just idling may not use up everyhing that is not treated....

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

How do I do this now? Fill with gas & then put sta-bil & sea-foam in or put the stuff in & then fill with gas?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Generally, I'll dump it in, then add fuel (the fuee will agitate the contents of the tank to allow your expensive stuff to mix-in well). Then run enough through to replace thefuel in the carbs (including accellerator pump) so like a 10-mile ride (~quart of fuel +/-)...

On the heat knob -- look for a cannon-style plugaround the passenger's area (sometimes hidden under or in the glove boxes) - it'll be a heating control - the plug would be for vest/jacket/pants/gloves-- I would suggest pulling the seat, as an aid to your search, and if your seat plugs in, then the heat is in the seat (I did a few of these in the passenger's backrest a that seemed to be cooler than butts on the cold days). Follow the wires from the knob if your search is inconclusive.

:cool:

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
imported post

happer wrote:
How do I do this now? Fill with gas & then put sta-bil & sea-foam in or put the stuff in & then fill with gas?
Uhh.....YES...!
What I do...
Before I store it is this...
If the tank is 1/2 full or more I add Stabil and ride the 2 miles to the gas station (even if it is cold out) and fill the bike..Add a little more stabil and ride another 5 or so miles home..All done..
If the bike is near empty..I take the stabil with me...Fill & add then ride around about 5-10 miles to be sure it is in the system well...
Adding a healthy dose to an empty tank will cause it to run VERY poorly (from my experience:gunhead:).
Although it does burn...it is not a proper fuel and could be a problem...
If your roads are not conducive to riding already (snow/ice) then I would suppose it would be fine to add/fill idle for a while....

Really - the Goldwing is so well engineered, and modern gas is reasonably stable already, it MIGHT not be a problem no matter what yo do..At least for me..my storage season is about 14 weeks long...December to Mid-March...
I have ONCE forgotten to add the stabil -- and it worked out fine the next spring...

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Wingsconsin wrote

......Really - the Goldwing is so well engineered, and modern gas is reasonably stable already, it MIGHT not be a problem no matter what yo do.......

Yes the Goldwing is a well engineered machine. I wouldn't let ethonal/gas, E10/E15 sit for a month without adding a stabilizer . ITs horrible stuff .

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Wingsconsin wrote

......Really - the Goldwing is so well engineered, and modern gas is reasonably stable already, it MIGHT not be a problem no matter what yo do.......

Yes the Goldwing is a well engineered machine. I wouldn't let ethonal/gas, E10/E15 sit for a month without adding a stabilizer . ITs horrible stuff .
Many of those products suggest not using them (not compatible)with Ethanol in concentrations above 10% (E-10).

Read the lables on whatever y'all choose.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

AAA++ on a little ride with your additive in the gas. The whole idea is to get it all in the carbs for a clean get away next spring!!! Have a warm and safe winter, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

What negative thing does storing a bike with it's tires touching concrete do?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

..if it sits long enough in one spot without moving then a flat-spot could potentially happen. On the sidestand would have a stronger chance of it happening than on the centerstand.

Again, it would take a while for this to happen though.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

CaptainMidnight85:

What exactly would make it go flat & what can I do to prevent it from going flat? Would making sure the tires are on cardboard help? What exactly would that do? Would carpet work as well? And again, hoe exactly would it help?

Thank you

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I have never bothered to put anything under the tires, they do just fine on concrete for the winter lay up. Putting the bike on the centerstand leaves very little weight on the front tire and none on the rear. The biggest advantage of this letting the suspension relax, gives the springs a rest over the winter.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

happer wrote:
CaptainMidnight85:

What exactly would make it go flat & what can I do to prevent it from going flat? Would making sure the tires are on cardboard help? What exactly would that do? Would carpet work as well? And again, hoe exactly would it help?

Thank you
Weight of the bike, air pressure in the tire, oxygen in the air outside of the tire, heat, cold, humidity, the surface the tire is on, etc. would all play a role I suppose. That and time. Again, it would take a lot of time for this to happen. I've never experienced a Winter lay-up causing flat-spots on any motorcycle tire I've ever owned.

It's not wrth worrying about IMO.

If... you were wanting to store it indefinitely, I would centerstand the bike, block-up the front of the engine so that the front and rear wheels are off the ground, and lower the air pressure in the tires to about 10 psi ..and then wrap the entire outer circumference of the tire in Saran-Wrap. That's all you can reasonably do...

Again, is it worth it? ...do you plan to store it long enough to make it worth doing?

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
294 Posts
imported post

Fuel stabilizer is highly recommended by most Goldwing technicians if the bike is going to sit for more than a month. The idle circuits are always under the level of fuel in the bowl, even after you drain the bowl. The circuits get gummed easily and if gummed bad enough, will require disassembly and thorough cleaning.
Procedure - Fill the tank with fresh fuel. If you fill it a few miles from home, simply go home, shut it down, put in the recommended amount of stabilizer, start the engine and wait for the fans to come on. Shut it down and it is done for the next few months.
If you add stabilizer at the pumps, ride the motorcycle for about 10 to 15 minutes and take it home and shut it down for the winter. Anything else you do is gravy. Anything over about three months and there is more to do I am sure but I have never stored a bike for anything longer than that so I really can't advise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.