Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the purpose of washing a bike before you put it away for the winter?

Also, what is the reason to cover it with a breathable sheet?

Also, is it that important to raise it up off it's tires?

Also, other than filling tank & putting fuel stabilizer in & taking the battery out, what else should a person do? It's going into an unheated garage.

Please answer ALL questions if u can.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
1. What is the purpose of washing a bike before you put it away for the winter?

2. Also, what is the reason to cover it with a breathable sheet?

3. Also, is it that important to raise it up off it's tires?

4. Also, other than filling tank & putting fuel stabilizer in & taking the battery out, what else should a person do? It's going into an unheated garage.

Thank you
1. Because lord only knows what's in that grime that made it on to your bike, leaving it on for that long could destroy your paint.

2. because having it covered protects from dust and or scratching while working around it. You want it breathable because otherwise it will trap moisture, which would be worse than dust and scratches.

3. Yes, othewise you'll get flat spots and basically have to replace your tires every riding season.

4. Don't know because I have the benifit of not having to stor my bike over the winter out here :waving:, but it sounds like you have it pretty well covered... maybe mothballs to keep the rodents away?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
1. Because lord only knows what's in that grime that made it on to your bike, leaving it on for that long could destroy your paint.

2. because having it covered protects from dust and or scratching while working around it. You want it breathable because otherwise it will trap moisture, which would be worse than dust and scratches.

3. Yes, othewise you'll get flat spots and basically have to replace your tires every riding season.

4. Don't know because I have the benifit of not having to stor my bike over the winter out here :waving:, but it sounds like you have it pretty well covered... maybe mothballs to keep the rodents away?
+1 What He said !

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
Could be "stuff" on it that would damage it.

Claim is, prevents condensation. Questionable as I cover mine w/a water proof cover and have no condensation!

No

Also, other than filling tank & putting fuel stabilizer in
One should put the stabilizer in a nearly empty tank, then fill the tank and run it enough to get the mix completely through the system.
& taking the battery out,
Store the battery in a place that will not see freezing temps. Plug it to a battery maintainer(not a charger or a trickle charger) and not on a concrete floor.
what else should a person do? It's going into an unheated garage.
Stuff the air intakes and the mufflers and place an open box of moth balls under the bike.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts

Also, other than filling tank & putting fuel stabilizer in & taking the battery out, what else should a person do? It's going into an unheated garage.

Thank you
1. It needs washed anyway. 2. Breathable because of trapped moisture. 3. I have NEVER raised a bike up off the tires for storage. But then I ride mine year round.Even if only once a month. 4. Again, I try to ride year round so I don't use a fuel stableizer. I did pull the battery and store it in the house but a battery tender will work nicely.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
All good info given so far. In my experience though, mothballs will not keep rodents away. If you don't keep rodents away they will build nests in the most difficult place to get at like in front of the carbs on top of the engine. I learned this the hard way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.