Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:waving:I am new to this forum and new to goldwings as I am in the process of buying a GL1100 from a friend who has upgraded to a GL1200. I am also returning to riding a motorcycle after 25 years in a car (I am still keeping the car, the bike is for fun).

My friend doesn't use the internet (or computers) at all so has asked me to help, his GL 1200 has a speedo problem and needs a new front wheel drive unit but it appears there is more than one type for this bike, it is a 1985 american import and the drive fixes by one screw which is different to the GL1100 which uses two screws.

can anyone help us to identify the part number for the correct one so we may try an source a replacement?

It may be that more info is needed to identify this part so if you can tell me where i can obtain it I will endeavor to source it (my friend is not technically minded at all).

many thanks for reading this and any offers of help.

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum miroku800

Download the manual on the web, they can be downloaded from lots of places.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

is it the aspincade or is it the interstate, the aspy has a digital dash and has the electronic sensor at the wheel, the interstate has analogue dash and has the gearbox at the wheel,and could be the speedo cable that has broke

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Many thanks for those quick replies

Tanygaer, have already tried that site and it list both types, hence the confusion

redneck, It apparently has 'normal clocks' so I think it must be an interstate

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Florida. :waving:

I ride an '85 Interstate 1200 and last year had to replace the speedo cable. It does attach with one screw at the wheel drive end.

The part number I got from the dealer in my area was 44830-ME5-00. It was a perfecft match for my bike.

Did your friends speedometer work and then just quit? That is what mine did so I started at the easiest and cheapest part first, that was the cable. It fixed my problem.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

try this, this is for a new unit, £57 + vat +p&p

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/part_17768/

easiest way to check if the speedo drive is working is to lift the wheel off the floor, disconnect the cable and spin the wheel and see if the speedo cable drive dog is spinning

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

Aspencades have a digital dash, Interstates have analog (dials)

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

sorry.. wrong model..

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Many thanks for all the advice I will get him to make the checks as suggested and then take it from there

I have to say it has been an amazing response and so quick

ride safe

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

welcome to the worlds best goldwing forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.