Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a mid 80's 1200 with fuel injection. Not sure the injection is going to be happy since it has set so long. I am wanting to install this engine in a mid 80's japanese mini truck. If I have the fab skills needed to make an intake and run a single Mikuni, Can the engine run w/o the computer or do i still need it for ignition?

·
Premium Member
5,716 Posts
It is needed for ignition...Read through this thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is needed for ignition...Read through this thread.

Thanks for the thread, it is good reading.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use a control module and pulse generators from a carbed 1200. FI uses one while the carb uses 2 PG's. You should be good to go.
Thanks, I am 100% new to these bikes. Am doing a ton of reading. Im not even sure what you are talking about so I will do some forum reading on those items.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use a control module and pulse generators from a carbed 1200. FI uses one while the carb uses 2 PG's. You should be good to go.
I read the 85 ( mine is a gl1200L) has 2 pulse generators already. A carbed control box is all I need? Is the control box an ignition module? Or main computer?

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
I read the 85 ( mine is a gl1200L) has 2 pulse generators already. A carbed control box is all I need? Is the control box an ignition module? Or main computer?
A 1200 LTD/SEI has 3 PGs, 1 on the crank & 2 on the rear of the right head. To make a carbed ignition work you would have to put the 2 sensors and pulse ring from the front of a carbed 1200 on it, you couldn't use the ones on the head. Also the ignition module from a carbed version.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. This supposedly a running bike, they all say that but it has no fairings or guages etc, everything else is there so hoping I can drain the fuel and replace with fresh gas and some lucas lubricant, clean plugs, and turn key on and hit the starter and see what happens if anything.

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
It would be much better if you can use the fuel injection, carburetors suck. I have a Japanese mini truck and considered putting a goldwing engine in it but no way it will work. Looked at putting fuel injection on the original engine after I rebuilt it but cauldn't get that to work as easily as I thought either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be much better if you can use the fuel injection, carburetors suck. I have a Japanese mini truck and considered putting a goldwing engine in it but no way it will work. Looked at putting fuel injection on the original engine after I rebuilt it but cauldn't get that to work as easily as I thought either.
No way it will work? Ha, you just didnt want to do it :)

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, there is no way it will work on mine. It is a 91 Subaru sambar 4x4 BTW.
Yes sir, mine is a 4x4 also and am planning on setting the engine mid mount, 2 wheel drive. Basically, I have a non running mini truck and a free goldwing this might be a fun conversion.

·
Administrator
24,633 Posts
Yes sir, mine is a 4x4 also and am planning on setting the engine mid mount, 2 wheel drive. Basically, I have a non running mini truck and a free goldwing this might be a fun conversion.
I could have done that with mine but would loose the 4x4 and it's pretty useless as a farm truck without it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could have done that with mine but would loose the 4x4 and it's pretty useless as a farm truck without it.
Yes indeed, I also would not if mine was a running farm tool. Mine has no engine and is rough and needs a rebirth :) I stumbled across a free goldwing that supposedly runs, Ill find out today if its useable as is with the FI. I am going to post up a thread about PG's and the signal they generate and using that to trigger non computer controlled hei type ignition. Hhhmmm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts