Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am looking for an inner trunk light for my 08 Wing. I see several options out there. Some mount on the inside of the lid and some on the side of the trunk.

I had a simple light with a mercury switch in my 89 but the light is no longer available. What works best with the 1800's? Suggestions please.

Thanks

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

If you want the mercury type switch that worked when you open the trunk, try an auto parts store or Stealer store.

Get one of those lights and go for it.

Or just mount some lights on the lid and put a switch on the side out of the way for it.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys,I like the led light strip idea. Perhaps one on the lid and shorter ones each side. The saddle bags could be lit with this method as well.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I decided to construct the trunk light as follows...

One 9.5" white LED strip on each side of the trunk hidden under the lip.

One 4.7" white LED strip on the trunk lid.

LEDS will be controlled by a ball bearing or mercurytilt switch.

A round rocker switch will be a power cut off.

There is already a power source for a trunk light in the trunk lid.

I am using contact cement to attach the LED's. All wires will be hidden. The rocker switch will go in the inner panel of the lid. The tilt switch will be hidden by the same panel.

The wiring will be as follows...

From the 2-wire power source in the trunks lid, 1 wire + the other -. The tilt switch interupts the -. The rocker switch interupts the +. After the switches the 2-wires go to the LED's.

I believe this is the same method used by the ElectricalConnection for there LED trunk light. That light however only has 4 LEDS in the lid.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The 89 has no wiring or plug for the vanity light and mirror that some of the later models had as an option. If you had that plug, it would be a two wire red connector under the very back of the seat on the left side just at the edge of the rear box. On those models it is C89 and runs off of the backup power fuse that the clock and radio use to maintain time and programmed channels.

Without that you will need to run your own fused power off of the battery.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Rudy wrote:
The 89 has no wiring or plug for the vanity light and mirror that some of the later models had as an option. If you had that plug, it would be a two wire red connector under the very back of the seat on the left side just at the edge of the rear box. On those models it is C89 and runs off of the backup power fuse that the clock and radio use to maintain time and programmed channels.

Without that you will need to run your own fused power off of the battery.
Rudy, you are correct, but I am putting the trunk light in a 2008 Wing.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

3rdwing wrote:

Rudy, you are correct, but I am putting the trunk light in a 2008 Wing.
Sorry... read that early morning and the 08 looked like 88.
Gets worse at night! :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well, the trunk light is completed. It turned out very well. The combined total draw of the LEDs is 400 mA. I can easily see everything in the trunk and in the lid organizer. I took a picture using a low end digital camera with no flash in complete darkness.

It doesnt really do it justice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Here is another pic to give you and idea of how much light the LEDs give out.

Its the side of the trunk.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

And finally a third of the lid

I like to puts so it took longer than it should have, but then I have all winter! Now what can I do next to keep myself occupied til spring???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
370 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I have one of those small battery powered LED lights on the underside of the cover for the left fairing pocket. Use it to see my MP3 player in the dark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.