Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1982 GL1100 Interstate leaks air on the rear wheel between the rim and tyre. The local Honda dealer replaced the valve and reseated the tyre. Now I have put the wheel back on it is still leaking. Is it possible (and safe) to fit an inner-tube to the tubeless tyre. Pumping air every day is such a pain!! Any ideas please - not new wheels - too expensive!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

my guess is it would be ok. people use inner tubes on tubeless tires all the time here in the states. just a pain in the butt to put them in. maybe some else might think differently though. or have more info on this subject.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

My understanding is that there is too much of a heat buildup that could lead to a blow out. That is based on what little I know about cars.

I know even less about motorcycle tires. Is the answer a new tire or a new rim?

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

On a back tire on a 1100 so long as you are not running radials or something silly I would not hesitate to tube it. All the 1000's using Comstars require tubes by the book.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Tubes are o.k. Their drawbacks are heat transfer which will play with your tire psi a little but the main draw back is how fast the tire goes flat if the tube fails when compared to deflation from a nail with a tubeless.

Is your rim the culprit because of pitting? If that is the case, there should be some kind of product to help seal that.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to you all. Hatchetman, I think I will look at finding a product to seal the rim, rather than go tube. Local Honda dealer is ok but not solving the problem.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
imported post

I had that problem last fall. Had to clean off corrosion on inside where the tire bead seats. Maybe the dealership mechanic did not clean well / Doug

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

'83 Aspy Owner's Manual (Canadian version). "Do not install a tube inside a tubeless tire. Excessive heat build-up may cause the tube to burst resulting in rapid tire deflation".

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Use caution finding something to clean the wheel as well as lubing the tire for R&R. Solutions containing even trace amounts of lye cause corrosion on aluminum. It appears as a white powder. The commercial products to fix flats and bead leaks WILL cause corrosion. Some of the dealerships are not aware/don't care about this. As you already know replacing wheels can be hazardous to one's pocketbook. Terry

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

gido wrote:
'83 Aspy Owner's Manual (Canadian version). "Do not install a tube inside a tubeless tire. Excessive heat build-up may cause the tube to burst resulting in rapid tire deflation".
:waving:The above warning is also in my '83 Interstate Onwer's Manual and no doubt is in all GL1100 owner's manuals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.