Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Enjoying the whole goldwing experience,only an owner for less than one month,

however,can;t figure out why the reverse gear will not activate, the previous owner

demonstrated the whole shooting works post purchase all seemed satisfactory,

nevertheless, no joy.....am i not observing the correct sequence ,totaly none plused

got no owner manual,but,ive now got you my new buddies,thanks for sharing

your wisdom.

skyski.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

skyski wrote:
Enjoying the whole goldwing experience,only an owner for less than one month,
however,can;t figure out why the reverse gear will not activate, the previous owner demonstrated the whole shooting works post purchase all seemed satisfactory, nevertheless, no joy.....am i not observing the correct sequence ,totaly none plused got no owner manual,but,ive now got you my new buddies,thanks for sharing your wisdom.

skyski.
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Skyski!:waving::waving:

The procedure is to have the bike in neutral, pull up the reverse handle and hold down the starter button. I prefer to do it with the engine running to keep from drawing the battery down. Pull the handle end to the left and push down to shift back to normal!

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hello skyski and welcome to what Paul rightly calls "the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet," which of course is because of helpful and Goldwing-savvy people like him.
Now before we all go and start diagnosing this, you will have to let us know if the reverse really is not functioning, or is it just that you aren't using it properly. Test it like Paul says and get back to us with the result. Between the Americans on the far side of the pond and the rest of us on this side, there's usually someone looking in on the forum 24/7. :waving:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

How did you get on with this skyski? And welcome to the forum.:waving:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Dont forget the side stand MUST BE UP ....other wise it will not function ....it is easy to over look the obvious.....Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Where is our official welcoming committee???

REDWING!!! Where fore art thou????

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi Alan, Reverse gear is functionng fine now and my hernia condition has also inproved.

Bob K.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Apparently the battery was simply not up to the demand required by the starter motor/gear mechanism....initialy i was attempting the process without the engine running,this naivity on my part was due to me repeating the demonstration given by the previous owner,who im sure performed the show with a dead engine,however ,the reverese works fine now as long as the motors running.

Bob K.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Think I maimed my Goldwing. Just bought a 1994...excellent condition. Rode less then one hour. Used the reverse to back into my elevated garage without a problem. Then while backing into a level parking space, the starter froze engaged, causing the motor to continue running and eventually killing the whole electrical system. Towed home and now must get to the shop tomorrow. But just after one hour's ride?

Can the reverse kill the bike?

I'm flabbergasted and am looking for information.

New, glad but sad Goldwing rider

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dirkfour4 wrote:
Think I maimed my Goldwing. Just bought a 1994...excellent condition. Rode less then one hour. Used the reverse to back into my elevated garage without a problem. Then while backing into a level parking space, the starter froze engaged, causing the motor to continue running and eventually killing the whole electrical system. Towed home and now must get to the shop tomorrow. But just after one hour's ride? Can the reverse kill the bike? New, glad but sad Goldwing rider
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet dirkfour4!:waving::waving:

Bit repetative that handle! I doubt you did any serious damage to the bike. If I understand what you're describing you ran in reverse but when you let go of the switch (you did let go of it, didn't get excited and hang on to it?) the starter wouldn't shut down? Not too sure what you mean by the starter froze engaged. I'd expect you blew one of the main fuses with the overload on the starter. Check your owner's manual and check your 30A fuses. I'll bet one is blown. If your reverse lever is refusing to go down have you tried rocking the bike back and forth while pressing the lever. Don't forget the lever has to be pulled left and then pushed down. Check things out and get back to us about what you found, maybe we can save you the cost of a shop visit.

BTW nice looking bike! But then they all are.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

thanks a bunch! as i remember it seemed to engage immediately when I lifted the reverse arm. I'm pretty sure I had it in neutral at the time but I got so confused at the time I can't remember. Just didn't seem like it was doing what it was supposed to. I don't even think I got the chance to press the start button. That's why I was wondering if it was possible I actually had it in gear with the clutch in when I raised that reverse handle. WOuld have to had done it with my right hand which doesn't seem I would have done.

Anyhow, I checked all the fuses and could not find one that was burnt.

Hoping this dealer will take care of me this time.

I'll repost once I find out what the 'damages' are .

Thanks again (may have to come up with a better handle now that I ride a Wing :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There might be something out of adjustment, normally you can't put it into reverse without being in neutral. There are a lot of interlinks with reverse to keep bad things from happening. If something was out of whack and you were able to get the handle up with it in gear there's no telling. The reverse system is pretty complicated both mechanically and electrically.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

Well the dealer came and picked up the bike. Claims it was a dead battery and a questionable 'switch' (only about $200 worth).

Hope to have the bike back by Friday and ready to ride.

We'll See. Still concerned about how much the reverse gear can take. I need to back UP into my garage about 40 feet total at about a 25 degree angle? Or is the reverse just for 5 or 10 feet? Can't find anything at all about it on the net.

Hope to see you WIngers on the road soon.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dirkfour4 wrote:
Well the dealer came and picked up the bike. Claims it was a dead battery and a questionable 'switch' (only about $200 worth).

Hope to have the bike back by Friday and ready to ride.

We'll See. Still concerned about how much the reverse gear can take. I need to back UP into my garage about 40 feet total at about a 25 degree angle? Or is the reverse just for 5 or 10 feet? Can't find anything at all about it on the net.

Hope to see you WIngers on the road soon.
40 feet up a 25 degree angle would be asking a bit muchof the starter. In fact I'd hate to climb up your driveway afoot! Are you sure it's 25 degrees?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

dirkfour4... How about driving up into the driveway, into the garage and turning the bike around inside? That's what I do. It takes some jockeying around, but you don't need to put it in reverse and possibly damage the starter... I don't have reverse on my 1200 anyway. Just a suggestion...

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

As for the 30 degrees I think I'm gonna now have to shoot that angle :)

As for turning around...likely will have to do. But I'm car poor now. Have a Honda Element in there with a Yamaha V Star and am looking for space. Might have to consider a 'turntable' HA!

Let's hope the battery fixes things and I'm looking forward to a big ride this weekend. Bout time for the leaves to start turning here in Colorado!.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd think the starter could handle it if you rode up to the top of your driveway and made a 3 point turn to back in, that way the starter wouldn't have to lift the bike up the whole rise of the drive, only the last ten feet or so.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

I thought the same thing but can't figure out who is gonna hold up the bike while I make that 3 point turn. THe downside is longer then my leg :D

Seriously, thanks for the thought!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.