Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In my 79 Wing, I have been lucky to break double digits for the per mile rate. What is the most common cause of such an issue? My carbs are running too rich, I am sure, but can they be running so rich as to cause such a ridiculous thirst?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Definitely carbs..I had the same issue. For me, i'm fairly certain that crud from the tank jammed up my float seats/valves, causing flooding/rich condition. Either that or just jamming up the carb passages. It's safe to say it's in your fuel system. Try changing your fuel filter, draining your float bowls, and very lightly tapping on them to free up the float needles.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Could be a few things causing it or a combination ?

These guys who are better than me by far will figure it out!

From experience ,carbs could be dumping gas or a weak cylinder could somehow dump gas and blow it out your exhaust (unburned)? Check compression on cylinders ask these guys how to check it the right way!

Also a very clogged air filter will cut your milage way down ?! Not sure about that far?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

yes, dirty air filter will do it. Also, if the o-rings are worn in your carbs, then you won't get a good pressure seal (ie fuel jets). 

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

How long has this been going on? Recently or for a while now?

Do you smell raw gas? Do you have to apply choke to get it started or not?

I'm thinking if you're not breaking double digits mpg wise, you've got to be running extremely rich. Have you pulled your plugs and looked at them? Are they sooty and black? If they are you have a really rich mixture.

I would think if the air cleaner is so plugged as to cause this radical drop in mpg, the restriction of air flow would be just like having the choke on and the bike would be extremely sluggish. You can take out the aircleaner and if it's so plugged as to cause this problem, it should be obviously cruddy looking.

Try running some Seafoam through a couple of tank-fulls and see what happens.

Shut the fuel petcock offwhen you're not running the bike and see what happens.

Also, have you checked your oil lately? If it's over full and reeks of gas then you probably do have float problems.

regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

By the way, when i took my bike in to a certified Honda shop for carb rebuild, they first checked the tank for rust/sediment before taking the carbs apart. Smart. Turns out they were right. Small particles can jam up those small carb orifices very easily. So, now i'm dealing with carbs and tank rust removal.just a thought

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm amazed that you can ride the thing at all if you're using that much fuel. Are you sure you're getting around 10-12mpg? If that's true and you don't have a leak it's hard to believe the bike runs at all. How does it behave when riding? I'd start by looking for a fuel leak.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with ex.. i dont know alot about wings as of yeet but learning more all the time............ i am currently getting around 42 to 43.... if i went to under double digits i dont think the thing would run at all unless it was leaking...... bout has to be leakin somewhere i would think..

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

does your bike still have the original ifnition system.... the points and condensors can also add to the problem. I put an aftermarket electronic ignition on my '78 wing in about '79 and have never regretted that move

:1000darkblue:(still looking for a smilie for my '78)

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

stormintba wrote:
I have to agree with ex.. i dont know alot about wings as of yeet but learning more all the time............ i am currently getting around 42 to 43.... if i went to under double digits i dont think the thing would run at all unless it was leaking...... bout has to be leakin somewhere i would think..
true, I also thought it is insane. I am not sure exactly how much fuel Iam using sinceI am going by the gauge. I wanted to wait to fill the tank because I may add seafoam or drain the bowls and add the Yama carb cleaner solution.

Argh...

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Have you tried raising the bike and spinning the wheels by hand to see if the brakes are seized?

Vic
no, i will try that. But I can roll the bike along on foot with not too much effort,so i have my doubts about this. I would think that some resistance would be felt at this level if the calipers are sticking.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
true, I also thought it is insane. I am not sure exactly how much fuel Iam using sinceI am going by the gauge. I wanted to wait to fill the tank because I may add seafoam or drain the bowls and add the Yama carb cleaner solution.

Argh...

I wouldn't go by the gauge. You need tofigure the mileage by gas actually used.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

If you are actually getting that low of mileage you would have to smell gas or be blowing a ton of black smoke out the exhaust., Have you looked at the plugs?

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Again, i simply drained my float bowls, tapped lightly on them, and topped up the tank (to properly read mileage). My mileage went from 28mpg to 38mpg, which convinced me it was stuck floats. Shortly after, suckage ensued. Took off the carbs to find sediment in there from tank.I would suggest at least trying the same procedure, including a new fuel filter. Make sure your bike is in good tune (ignition timing? points? electronic?). Are you getting backfiring? This would suggest bad air-cut valve and also unburnt fuel (possible flooding). That poor mileage has to be carb related, imho./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/baffled.gif

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I thought my gas mileage was bad. When I first checked my 84 Aspencade I was getting around 32 mpg. I ran two tanks of fuel with 4oz of MMO in each tank. I just checked my mileage this morning when I filled up and I get 35.8. Still not so good. I am going to check the plugs and air filter this weekend. My bike has a fairly strong odor of gas while it is running. (maybe that's me:doh:) It smells like it is flooded. It is a little hard to start at times also.

Of course, I did justbuy this bike about 5 weeks ago and it had been sitting for quite some time. It is an 84 that only had 14,000 on it. It has had a very easy life of sitting around. The guy that I bought it from stated that he had owned it for about a year and a half and had only put on about 1,000 miles on itin that period. Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the carbs and clean them. I am sure there is probably gummed up crap everywhere in the fuel system.

I will report back my findings.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
In my 79 Wing, I have been lucky to break double digits for the per mile rate. What is the most common cause of such an issue? My carbs are running too rich, I am sure, but can they be running so rich as to cause such a ridiculous thirst?
sanfelice, while your problem(s) could be about anything (most covered above) the main cause of extremely poor fuel economy on the early Wings is a failed or (failing) slow air cut-off valve diaphragm in one of more of the carbs. If you have a slow air cut-off failure that blocks off pilot jet air it causes a very rich running condition.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Very true, Twisty, though i replaced my air-cut valve diaphragm, and that didn't help once the fuel circuit was jammed up.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
If you have a slow air cut-off failure that blocks off pilot jet air it causes a very rich running condition.

Twisty
Twisty:waving:Thanks for saying what the slow air cutoff failure causes. I was wondering how it could make such a drastic change in mileage. Now I know.:)

:12red::cool:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.