2,148 Posts
imported post

Mag:waving:, Thanks that is good.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

All the guys here are giving excellent suggestions... Use the process of elimination to get to the source of the problem. If compression (hot engine) is normal, suspect the ignition system, then the fuel system.. We will all keep posting things for you to check on using themost cost effectivemethod first before moving on to the money issues.

Don't take too long getting this situation cleared up.. If the cylinders are getting raw gas dumped into them, it won't be long before the rings go BYE BYE.. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

exaggeration, yes. But we never see that here, eh? /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/goofygrin.gif

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

My brand new 86 Aspy NEVER got over 38mpg... My current #2 86 Aspy with only 31k miles on it does not get more than 35 to 38 mpg... I know the valve is working properly because I tested it...

The article seems to want to sell cut-off valves for someone... HMMMM!!!! :thumpingmad:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

You're welcome, Dean. Take the information you need. Obviously, there is room for debate about mileage claims. It's good general info, however.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Another thinfg that willcause lower fuel mileage isa bad vacuum hose that goes from number 4intake elbowto the ECU. If thisvacuum hose is dried out, cracked or has fallen off the ECU will not get a signal to advance the ignition timing, as well it causes a leaner fuel mixture which will also lower fuel mileage.

So many things can be wrong and they all add up and compound as the miles roll on.

Vic

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
A quote from the explanation --"IF YOUR `75 - `87 GOLDWING IS NOT GETTING 50 TO 58 MILES PER GALLON (20 - 23 KM/ LITER), YOU HAVE ONE OF THE MOST OBVIOUS SIGNS OF TROUBLE"-- Well it looks like we all have a problem, even a brand new 1200 must have been delivered with defective air cut-off's?

Twisty
WOW! and all these years I thought the 45 mpg I got was good I guess my '78 has never run right at all :crying:

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
You're welcome, Dean. Take the information you need. Obviously, there is room for debate about mileage claims. It's good general info, however.
The highest mileage I ever got on my 1200 was 52, one rider taking it easy, riding normal speed limits and above with 2 people varies from 45mpgfor a low. Before I changed the carbs out it was getting 28 to 33mpg...I thought the diaprhams being stretched out was my probem at the time, but it could have been the slow air cutoff valve.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

There are so very many factors involved in gas mileage that it's almost impossible to compare from bike to bike and driver to driver. Type and quality of gas, state of tune and bike condition, wind velocity on you windshield, humidity, tire pressure etc.

The only way to do a fair bike to bike comparison is to ride together on the same roads at the same speeds and use the same gas and even then the weight of the drivers will change the outcome.

Jusy tune it properly and drive it wisely and enjoy it.

Vic

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
imported post

mag wrote:
Very true, Twisty, though i replaced my air-cut valve diaphragm, and that didn't help once the fuel circuit was jammed up.
this was diagnosed for me by Randakk on another board as a bad air cut valve.

So the question is , should I buy one new or just replace the o-rings in the valve? They are rather pricey, esp to solve a problem that may be related to more than just this valve (i.e., the carb needs rebuilding, etc)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

twisty wrote:
A quote from the explanation --"IF YOUR `75 - `87 GOLDWING IS NOT GETTING 50 TO 58 MILES PER GALLON (20 - 23 KM/ LITER), YOU HAVE ONE OF THE MOST OBVIOUS SIGNS OF TROUBLE"-- Well it looks like we all have a problem, even a brand new 1200 must have been delivered with defective air cut-off's?

Twisty
Twisty, I've seen that figure before, I think it's a conversion error. Imperial gallons and/or an error in conversion of kilometers to miles. I did get an honest 44.6mpg when I filled up today after a pleasant 100 mile ride around Puget Sound on some backroads. This is an honest measurement depending on the accuracy of the speedo since I fill the gas right to the neck each time.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
Very true, Twisty, though i replaced my air-cut valve diaphragm, and that didn't help once the fuel circuit was jammed up.
Mag, I am suffering with 27 mpg on my 84 1200A explained in another thread and the trail ended with me having to obtain a new air-cut off diaphram and spring. Where did you obtain yours? :baffled:
CurrentRide1984 GL1200A (20k Mi), Former Rides:1996 BMW R850R (72K Mi), 1982 GL1100I (52K), 1982 Silver Wing (14K), 1979 GL1000 (75K), 1976 CB5504 (22K), 1974 CB360 (16K), 1971 CB7504 Jewel (13K), 1967 Trail 90 (6K).

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Hi Stevo,I bought my air-cut valve through a Honda certified dealer here in Vancouver, though it was an aftermarket part. Actually, it was just the rebuild kit -- diaphragm, spring, and bottom/top o-rings.Man, you've had more rides than me!

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I get an honest 40 mpg most of the time with my 83I.

Life is good.

hobie

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Thanks! Also, when my gauge hits the red reserve line, I'd better be ready to go to reserve. All in all I'm a happy camper:D

Hobie

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Hey guys

I ride my bike (GL 1100 I) to work mostly and sometimes I pick up my daughter and the last four tank fulls Ihave gottenan honest 39.4,39.7, 39.5, 39.4mpg that was easy type of driving in the outline city limits, stop and go type. can't wait to break into the 40 mpg club,:action:before I had my Carb rebuild I got about 27.2 mpg so I have been happy with the current stage.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I get an honest 40 mpg most of the time with my 83I.

Life is good.

hobie
Man at 45mpg and up Life is Super, mostly at the pump.:)

:12red::cool:

21 - 40 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.