Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Vic, I ride the one in my Avatar, 84 Interstate, 11,000miles,the original carbs had been gone through by at least 2 Honda shops and one independent shop before I got it, and none of them could fix them. the bike sat a long time,about 16 years,the tank was really rusty and it got all through out the fuel system, the last guy before me really screwed up when out in the middle of nowhere the fuel filter clogged up completely with crud and rust, so in order to keep from walking he took the filter off tapped on it and blew it out as good as he could, then he put it on the opposite direction to get enough flow....big mistake, so after I cleaned them the best I could and set the floats myself and it did not help I just decided to get a good working set of carbs and put them on,,,it amazed me when I honestly got 52mpg,after getting 28mpg with the old set,. I always fill my tank up to the neck I am constantly checking my mileage, all I did was clean the87 carbs and adjust the floats, I just lucked out I figure. I just hope it keepsgetting the great mileage. The plugslook good, I was afraid it might be too lean.Last fillup 71 miles it held 1.5US gallons, that is 47 mpg with 2 riders going up and down hills all the way running 60-65.

Dean

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Dean, i'm curious, did you deal with the rusty tank, or just replace the carbs?

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I usually go about 160 to 170 miles on 4.5 gallons of gas. That is around 35 to 37 MPG.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

:baffled:Less wind resistance that way !

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Does the 84 Aspencade have a reserve tank? On other bikes I have had, there is a RES notch on the fuel selector. This bike only has ON and OFF.

Also, I just changed the plugs in my engine today. All 4 plugs were black looking and kinda wet looking. Don't know for sure what that means. Anyway, I put in new plugs and the bike really changed. I thought it had power before! WOW! It really has power now. I just about scared myself when I opened it up. Also, the gas smell seems to be gone. Before the bike alwasy smelled like it was flooded.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I noticed that when the gauge gets to the last bar, the bar starts blinking. I hit the gas stationfor gas and I only got 4.6 gallons in and it was to the neck.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The tank on a GL1200 holds 5.8 U.S. gallons or 22 litres, but, it's a good practice to get fuel when the LCD bar starts blinking.

I guess that was Honda's way of eliminating the need for a manual reserve valve and it seems to work because I don't know many Wing owners who habitually run out of fuel.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It seems to be pretty consistent, on both my 1200 and my 1500 the low fuel warning comes on with around a gallon and a half or so left in the tank. The old VW beetles had areserve too until they got fuel gauges, I think Honda felt the same way about it.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I was wondering if someone could answer my question that I had about my plugs. I changed them and all 4 looked kinda black and were wet. Don't know what this means but after changing them and putting in the new ones, the bike seems a lot more powerful. Also, it used to smell like it was flooded all the time and I have noticed that the smell seems to be gone now.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Your answer is in several of the posts csanders67217, but, I'll try to answer again directly. Black spark plugs mean that the choke is on too long,( try to get the choke turned off as soon as possible after starting the engine,) orfuel and air mixture is too rich(too much fuel) This can be caused by a dirty air filter, misadjusted carbs, carbs that need repair or a weak spark or all of the above. Now that you have new plugs installed remove them and let us know what color they are. If the plugs are still black you will need to do some repairs. Might be dirt, bad floats on bad needle valve and seats in the carbs if the plugs are still black.

Vic

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

UPDATE: Today I finally got a chance to get the bike out and ride it to work. (it has been very rainy here) I changed the plugs on Saturday and I thought that it was running better. I noticed today that it seems to be sputtering and sounds like it might be backfiring slightly through the carbs. I also noticed the strong smell of gas when I would stop at a light. The bike seems to be running kinda rough when at speed. (60 mph) I installed the NGK plugs that the book recommends and set the gap to .035". It just seems a little sick.

Anyone have any ideas?????

:12beige:84' GL1200 Aspencade

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It sounds to me like you're going to need to go through the carbs and possibly the air valve. The low mileage and wet plugs can be caused by leaking carburetor floats, maladjusted or non-synced carbs. Backfiring can be caused by carbs and the air valve. The fact that you changed plugs and got better performance for awhile could indicate oil fouling.

The first investigation needed would be to determine whether it's oil or gas that's fouling the plugs. What do the plugs smell like? Try lighting the wet plug with a match, if it's gas it should burn. What about your oil, it is thin and gassy smelling?

At the moment from the info you've posted it would be hard to pinpoint the problem here, can't even be sure whether we are dealing with a carb, ignition, or mechanical like rings and valves. Do a little more investigation on your bike and let us know what you find, perhaps we can narrow it down a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Thanks for te quick response exavid.

I just went out and pulled the plugs. They appear dry. The end, where the threads are is black looking. The two electrodes are white and look pretty normal. I smelled them andthere is a strong odor of fuel. Tried lighting them with a lighter but they did not light.

Pulled the dipstick and wiped the oil onto my finger. The oil is very clean. It feels normal and has no smell of fuel.

I pulled the air cleaner out and it too is very clean. it is a little oily feeling and smells very strongly of fuel.

The day I changed the plugs, the bike started very nicely. Now it is back to starting hard. I have to apply the choke to get it to start. As soon as it starts, I turn the choke completely off and apply just a little throttle to keep it running.

Let me know if there are any more checks you would like me to make. I would like to get this figured out.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

have a look inside your fuel tank. I'm willing to bet there is rust in there. I'm dealing with the EXACT same conditions. I'll bet sediment got in your carbs, and is jamming up the floats/seats, causing flooding. Worth a look.My money is on your carbs needing dissambly/cleaning. You can try running some seafoam through them first, and tapping on the float bowls to see if you can free up the floats. I did this, and it temporarily improved mileage. Now i'm putting on rebuilt carbs.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.