Not open for further replies.
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Remember those old gasoline fired heaters in the VW's Paul? I wonder how much they affected gas mileage? LOL

Vic
I recall some of the Corvairs had the same type gasoline heaters,,,Some aircraft had them also, The DC 3s for example.
Dean
The damn things scare me, I had a bad incident with a Southwind heater. I had one in an old Bug, I think it burned as much gas as the engine, but then the winter temps were in the -40F range. I had a Southwind heater in my Lake Amphibian but used to freeze my passengers because I'd turn it on only long enough to warm up the cabin a little then turn it off. The thing was located on the roof of the cabin just in front of the engine pylon, never liked to think of a fire in the thing with burning gas running down into the cabin. The reason I am a bit leery of those things is that one caught fire in a sno cat I was driving. I was hauling a bunch of kid to school and the heater just under my left arm developed a crack in the fuel line. A real impressive fire ensued with me shouting at the kids to get out the back door and hurry so I could. It burned most of the sleeve of my Eddie Bauer park off. Really don't like those things but don't mind the diesel fired versions.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I've seen them burn up also Paul and the very worst were the ones that were not maintained and they misfired and backfired and belched black smoke through the rust holes in the cars. I use a kerosene fired heater in my garagethat uses the same principle but it doesn't scare me like the gas version does.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I heat my shop (where I work on myGoldwing, there it's motorcycle related)with a Monitor. Like a Toyoset but better. A 275 gallon tank of fuel keeps it going for almost three winters. The burner is kinda like a pot burner but very efficient.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
imported post

O.k., getting back on topic. I recently pulled my carburetors and gave the various pieces a good dip. You can purchase a can of carburetor cleaner at your local auto parts shop. (Get the 1 gallon size can with the basket inside.)

After examining the parts for condition, i.e. straightness, corrosion, etc, follow your shop manual for directions on how to dismantle and reassemble the parts.

I"dipped" my parts and removed gumming/varnish from them. Then I reassembled and reinstalled the carbs.The bike has good power, excellent throttle response, 35-40 mpg,and runs buttery smooth.

If you haven't done this, you'll be surprised by what you find in your carbs-even after a Sea Foam treatment or two.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

A few tips if you are going to dip your carbs:

--study your manual before starting the job

--completely disassemble the carb and work on one only at a time so you don't mix parts from one carb to another

--be certain that all rubber parts have been removed prior to dipping (somejets are hidden under aluminum pucks)

--replace all gaskets, seals and o rings

--be extremely gentle because you can easily break the carb while trying to remove the float pins (they only come out one way)

--DO NOT use wire to clean jets (one single scratch inside the jet can alter the fuel flow characteristics of the jet) use compressed air or replace the jet with the same number new part

--use some oil or grease on the jets when reinstalling so that you don't cut theo ringas you insert it

--be prepared to spend a full weekend to do this job properly

--be patient, examine carefully and make certain that the float adjustment is followed precisely

--good luck and let us know how it runs after the cleanup

Vic

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

just wanted to say you guys are the greatest, just got my wing on the road today, it felt great till i looked at the milage. not looking too pretty but i'll pull the plugs tomorrow and recheck everything mentioned here. but will try some sea foam when i get a chance. and i'll keep ya posted with anything good!

81 - 89 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.