Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok, so as i read the factory manual it say's that the top of the seat is 31.5". Ok now don't laugh but at 5'6" i find myself pretty much on my tip toes when sitting on the bike, now it's dry (no fuel or coolant) and i expect it to settle a bit . My question is .......do they make a kit to lower the bike? I think the manual say's the shocks are 13", maybe a shorter shock or air shocks?

thanks Bummerino :action:

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Which bike? You have few options, but without knowing which model, no one can be specific.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

You can always cut the seat down, or go aftermarket seat. Some makers advertise a lower seat.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

bummerino wrote:
ok, so as i read the factory manual it say's that the top of the seat is 31.5". Ok now don't laugh but at 5'6" i find myself pretty much on my tip toes when sitting on the bike, now it's dry (no fuel or coolant) and i expect it to settle a bit . My question is .......do they make a kit to lower the bike? I think the manual say's the shocks are 13", maybe a shorter shock or air shocks?
Bummerino, as Raymond said, we need to know what you are working with here.

If air shock/fork equipped try lowering the air pressure to the minimum. I have a friend in a similar situation as you (only his is with his Harley).In his case it really wasn't the seat height as much as the seat width, the seat was so wide he couldn't touch the ground comfortably at a stop. A trip to the local seat re-upholster & he was good to go (well good to stop anyhow)..

Twisty

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I think if I remember he said in his first post when he joined the forum, he bought a 75 or 76 GL1000.:D

Gene:dude::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Seat makers like Corbin can make a lower seat.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

as others have mentioned it helps to know which bike... I know that the S&W air shocks lowered my '78 a wee bit, as well as the corbin seat (well not the bike but my rear). the 1000's had 17" rear wheels, and I see occasionally 16" lester mags on ebay which MIGHT lower a bit as well (depends on the tire though.

help us out... what are you riding?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

I went to Walton-Mart and purchased a $9 electric turkey carving knife, removed the seat and staples from the front of the seat panto almost the middle of the seat, peeled the cover back and removed the rider's seat foam.

I then proceeded to perform surgery and removed 2" off the top and then sculpted the front to make it even narrower. The narrowing of the front horn is what helps my 5'4" stature get my boots (almost) flat on the ground. My wife also loves theoutcome sincenow she can see more over my head since I am sitting lower. I think I'm really only an inch to an inch and a half lower (due to foam compression). I re-stretched the cover and used a staple gun to secure the cover without wrinkles. So far, feels good for a couple of hour ride...haven't gonelonger than that yet.

Hope this helps.

Greg :waving:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

hey , thanks for all the responses. It's a 1976 gl1000. I just recovered the seat with a cover/pad from Dennis Kirk. I new i should have boughjt a corbin seat, just drove by their factory on my way home from the coast last week. should have stopped. But I think I will try getting shorter shocks. It has the stock hydraulic shocks, maybe air shocks!. Thanks guy's for the responses, this is the best/ most helpfulwebsite, again I am so glad I found it, it would have made the last six months of bike building so much easier.

Bumm

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

bummerino wrote:
I new i should have bought a corbin seat, just drove by their factory on my way home from the coast last week. should have stopped.
I stopped by the factory back in April on my way back from Death Valley. They made a seat while I waited. They even fed me lunch! What a great bunch of people there.

So far so good with the seat. Its the best one I've ever had. Even after 16 hours in the saddle one Sunday my butt was just fine.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

2big4me wrote:
I went to Walton-Mart and purchased a $9 electric turkey carving knife, removed the seat and staples from the front of the seat panto almost the middle of the seat, peeled the cover back and removed the rider's seat foam.

I then proceeded to perform surgery and removed 2" off the top and then sculpted the front to make it even narrower. The narrowing of the front horn is what helps my 5'4" stature get my boots (almost) flat on the ground. My wife also loves theoutcome sincenow she can see more over my head since I am sitting lower. I think I'm really only an inch to an inch and a half lower (due to foam compression). I re-stretched the cover and used a staple gun to secure the cover without wrinkles. So far, feels good for a couple of hour ride...haven't gonelonger than that yet.

Hope this helps.

Greg :waving:
Well done Greg, that's the way to do it. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

That is a great tip on the carver. I have seen professionals use in a shop. They work great.:goofygrin:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.