Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like such a simple thing, but is so difficult for me. When removing the head on the right side of my 78 Goldwing, the pipe going to the Thermostat came off with it, only it pulled out of the thermostat housing, which is in farther than my hands can reach on the bike. I am replacing the o ring, and want to reinsert the pipe, but it is nearly impossible to push it in and keep the o ring from getting twisted or bunched up. I put it together once and thought I had it, but coolant was leaking out of it, and there isn't a good way to know that isn't going to happen until I put it all back together and start up the bike.

Now I'm trying it again and was hoping someone had a tip to help me do this and get a good seal this time around.

Thanks.

·
Honda Guru
2,075 Posts
First thing to do is make sure the area where the oring sits inside the thermostat housing is perfectly clean. Put some fine sandpaper on you fingertip and brush the inside in a circular motion until it shines.
Insert the NEW oring onto the metal tube…. do not try to put the oring into the thermostat housing.

Apply a small amount of almost any kind of lubricant onto the oring.
Hold the tube straight and rotate it slightly during installation. Watch the oring carefully to make sure it went in straight and didn't kink.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
I use actual anti-freeze as the lube.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
The full shop manual says that everyone gets a leak the first two tries, even if you're good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so it didn't leak until I got the bike running good, then the o-ring that is the farthest in started leaking again...ugh! I'll try again and hopefully the third time is the charm!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I use a dab of BelRay waterproof grease on most 0-rings to get them to slip into place without damage. It usually works. It sounds like a bad design if the manual says you are likely to have a leak the first couple of times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.