Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I tried one out while shopping for a trike, and it feels wierd to me. Still can lean, but feels strange when wieght is tranferred to the outrigger wheels.Just wasn't impressed. Don't care much for the Voyager, either, for the same reason(s). Once I tried a true trike, I was hooked. A much more weighty, solid feel.JMO jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i should have put this on the original post i have a 83 with collector plates if i covert to a trike i loose my collector plates

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't it still be considered an '83 Wing? and use the same plates? It would have the same VIN number. How would the state know the difference or care? Just something to think about.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

in wi to have collector plates on your bike it cannot be modified

it stated right on the ap for the plates if the bike is not stock you cannot put collector plates on it

i want to keep those plates because it was a one time fee so if i make it into a trike i have to get regular bike plates for it & renew the plates

the bike looks nice with a blue plate on it ( or just call me cheap )

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

PAF1047 wrote:
in wi to have collector plates on your bike it cannot be modified

it stated right on the ap for the plates if the bike is not stock you cannot put collector plates on it

i want to keep those plates because it was a one time fee so if i make it into a trike i have to get regular bike plates for it & renew the plates

the bike looks nice with a blue plate on it ( or just call me cheap )
I have the Voyager trike kit on mine & I love it. It looks & feels like a trike instead of a quad. As far as your collector plates are concerned. Here in BC, were are also not allowed modifications or any add-ons that were not available @ the time of manufacture. Although The Voyager is accepted by my insurance, it is not accepted for collector plates. If I really wanted to, I could probably appeal this with a Drs recommendation. But I don't want to be told what I can or can't install on MY bike or how much I can ride.:action::action::action::action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Nice looking fysty-1. I never used to think much of them, but yours looks downright nice.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

My wife has one of these contraptions on her 1993 Gold Wing. She loves it because she could not ride a GW otherwise. I, however am not so thrilled with it. I don't know how they mount on the 1800, but I 'spose it's about the same as the 1500. On the 1500, the main mounting point is the trailer hitch. Unfortunately, that is mounted to the back half of the frame section that is removed when changing a rear tire. This puts an unbelievable amount of stress on the side bolts, which are only about 3/8 diameter, and there are only two, one on each side. I have replaced these twice, as they break off and need to be checked regularly. When they break, it leaves the MUFFLERS and exhaust pipe doing all the support work(well, most of it) and this puts stress on the exhaust system, which can result in a pipe breakage, which was the first failure that her bike had. A bolt breakage also causes the trike to become some what unstable, and it will not track correctly and if you are on a long trip, will wear out the tires REALLY fast. It's a pretty good solution for those that need the support, but just check your mounting points all the time. A GW was not meant to be supported at these mounting points, and the failure of one, causes extra stress to the other points. The first time it happened to us, we were on a trip to Newfoundland. I believe the bolt was broken when we were traversing some ruff roads in Vermont, but it did not really show up until we were in NF. With the help of some very kind local folks in Stephenville, and a local hardware store that had bolts, I/we were able to get the broken bolts out and wrap some tin from a pop can around the broken tailpipe and secure it with clamps. Worked OK, but we had to replace the tires on the return trip. Since, I check those bolts a LOT, and carry spares as well as the proper easy out and drill. So far, so good, and have replaced one bolt that was broken, but it was not too hard because the bike was in the garage, and not in a Holiday Inn parking lot. Good luck. This is only my experiance, and a lot of folks run these things all the time with no problems. BE PREPARED however....also get ready for folks to fall out of their cars looking at you....ha ha.........

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

stickyfingers wrote:
My wife has one of these contraptions on her 1993 Gold Wing. She loves it because she could not ride a GW otherwise. I, however am not so thrilled with it. I don't know how they mount on the 1800, but I 'spose it's about the same as the 1500. On the 1500, the main mounting point is the trailer hitch. Unfortunately, that is mounted to the back half of the frame section that is removed when changing a rear tire. This puts an unbelievable amount of stress on the side bolts, which are only about 3/8 diameter, and there are only two, one on each side. I have replaced these twice, as they break off and need to be checked regularly. When they break, it leaves the MUFFLERS and exhaust pipe doing all the support work(well, most of it) and this puts stress on the exhaust system, which can result in a pipe breakage, which was the first failure that her bike had. A bolt breakage also causes the trike to become some what unstable, and it will not track correctly and if you are on a long trip, will wear out the tires REALLY fast. It's a pretty good solution for those that need the support, but just check your mounting points all the time. A GW was not meant to be supported at these mounting points, and the failure of one, causes extra stress to the other points. The first time it happened to us, we were on a trip to Newfoundland. I believe the bolt was broken when we were traversing some ruff roads in Vermont, but it did not really show up until we were in NF. With the help of some very kind local folks in Stephenville, and a local hardware store that had bolts, I/we were able to get the broken bolts out and wrap some tin from a pop can around the broken tailpipe and secure it with clamps. Worked OK, but we had to replace the tires on the return trip. Since, I check those bolts a LOT, and carry spares as well as the proper easy out and drill. So far, so good, and have replaced one bolt that was broken, but it was not too hard because the bike was in the garage, and not in a Holiday Inn parking lot. Good luck. This is only my experiance, and a lot of folks run these things all the time with no problems. BE PREPARED however....also get ready for folks to fall out of their cars looking at you....ha ha.........
SF. If you look at the link for my Voyager, http://www.mtcvoyager.com/ , you will see that this kit mounts to the frame where the centerstand was. All the weight is supported by the bellypan. And with the size od the wheels it looks just like a trike. See pic 2 or 3 posts before this one. This one also has no lean. It is very much like a trike in handling and ride. I know that a lot of avid riders will put down "training wheels but remember how you love to ride well with 46 years riding under my belt I too love to ride, but I have sever arthritis and it now hurts to hold my Baby up. This also one of the reasons I gave up pushing a rig down the road. These kits ( no matter which type and there are several) are listed with the Canadian & US handicap associations.:action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

What is the back end fastened to....It never really shows in any of the pics. It cant just float or it wouldn't hold up the scoot?? Does it fasten to the muffler mounts or rear frame???

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

My Father has run a Insta-Trike on and off for years. He has a frame for his 1500 and one for his 1800. When he feels good he rides on 2 wheels. If he is not feeling 100% he rides on 4. I have ridden in the mountains with him and he has no problems keeping up. The convienience once the support frame is installed is fantastic. Off or on in minutes. I have never heard him talk about any of the problems stickyfingers had, but rest assured I will brief him on it.

If you are looking at a full time application I would NOT consider it and would recommend a full conversion but for a part time system it is great.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Wife and I , 2 up and pulling a camping trailer, , put on over 5200 miles with Voyager from Oregon to Illinois and back and had not one bit of trouble, '89 GL 1500. Don't understand c0mments about excessive tire wear. We had no such experience.

Admittedly, if you like lots of lean on twisties Voyager is not for you. At my age I find it very appropriate rig.
Polkwing

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

stickyfingers wrote:
What is the back end fastened to....It never really shows in any of the pics. It cant just float or it wouldn't hold up the scoot?? Does it fasten to the muffler mounts or rear frame???
There is a bracket that is fastened to the rear axle that the trike suspension slides into. http://www.mtcvoyager.com/voyager_classic_hardware.html If you look here you will see 2 parts that resemble slip joint pliers. Those are the suspension parts. It is a really solid and sound piece of engineering.:action::action::action::action::action::action::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

I myself invested in a tow- pac or inta trike as ppl are talking about,To me i didnt like the voyager kit because the wheel will come off the ground as you turn,as mine being independent suspension does not lean nor come off the ground. as close to a true trike as they come.Plus being able to go back on two wheels in a matter of minutes.Of course this is just my opinion and the fact the wife can drive and i set back and enjoy lol.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Well, I guess either version will work for what they are supposed to do. I think, however that the owner must bear in mind that they are "add-ons", and fastened to parts of the bike that were never meant to undergo the type of stress that COULD be exerted. I read somewhere else of guys having trouble with breaking the mount bolts on the EZ trike, but I don't recall if it was the mounts themselves or something else. The insta mounts to the crash bars with a couple of small clamps, mostly for keeping the thing straight. The othermounting point is the trailer hitch which puts ALL the loading on the small bolts behind the bags, and the muffler mount bolts under theunder the saddle bags. This means that ALL side forces and bumps and holes are transmitted thru the rear subframe (on the 1500) thru two small (approx 3/8") bolts, and your exhaust pipe (in turn the "collector box" underneath). It's just something to check every now and then. Take your foot and push against the tire in or opposite the direction of travel. If the Trike moves, you either have loose or broken bolts. This CAN lead to the pipes breaking at the exhaust collector, damage to your saddle bags, rapid wear of tires, and possible instability. My wife, who is absolutely unaware of any mechanical happenings in the universe, never noticed any difference until the exhaust pipe let go. After the repair, she said it felt firmer, but not much change. I think I may have noticed had I been riding the bike, but I can't say for sure because I wasn't. (I just hate that thing, but then again I had steering problems with her side car, and she drove IT all over the U.S. and Canada) I just want folks to be aware of potential problems so you can check now and then. The bolts that broke on hers were up behind the saddle bags, so you wouldn't really know they were broken because the muffler and trailer hitch were taking all the brunt of the load. Just check it now and then.........there is an access hole in the bags so you can peek at the bolt and see if it is tight or broken also.......good luck....these things DO make it possible for folks who can't hold a wing up, to ride and not spend a king's ransome on a full tilt trike.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

SF, thanks for the warning. Suggestion noted and I have copied and pasted your posts to my docs. Thanks Angela:action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

This opens up a whole new world to me. My wife has her m/c license, but at 5'3", she couldn't begin to hold up my GL. She could bearly hold up my old '83 500 Shadow. With some type of conversion kit, like the Voyager, she could handle the GL and then I could remove it when I would be the only driver. No need to buy her a bike/trike of her own! :clapper: And I save the cost difference! :toast:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.