1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello!

I´m new on this fantastic forum.

Have any one any tips / pictures on how to install a12 cigarett lighter on a gl1500 -94 ?

Regards Richard

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Hello Richard and welcome to the board,

I have a 12V Cig. lighter on my 1500 and I installed it on the Right hand pocket cover and ran the wires into the fairing. I also put plugs on the Cig lighter so if I needed to remove the cover I could just unplug it.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Richiew wrote:
Hello!

I´m new on this fantastic forum.

Have any one any tips / pictures on how to install a12 cigarett lighter on a gl1500 -94 ?

Regards Richard
Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Richard, Welcome to a great forum. I would also think of puting in a Marine one, as it has a cap to protect it when you are not using it. That's what i did on mine,inside my right side locked pocket as well. :waving: :)

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the not so sunny Springfield Ohio. You can find just about all the information you need here. Lots of great people here willing to help out. Glad to have you.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I installed two on mine.

I installed one in the front ofthe left hand fairing pocket and I use it as a 12v port,using a power inverter to charge/run items like Cell, MP3, battery charger, etc

The other one is used as a ... well, cigarette lighter. :D

On non SE models, there is a rubber plug on the right hand side of the dash which houses the SE's 'foot heater controls'. I removed that and reamed out the hole a little larger and installed the lighter. Hint, you'll have more room to work in there if you remove the front turn signal assembly.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I mounted mine inside the left pocket. I have one of the 2 wire splitters that is about 6" long. Plug that in and can hang the outlet outside if I need to. 2 plugs 1 for gps other for cell charger or whatever.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

I don't have a GL1500, however I did mount on in the same location as Dusty on my GL1200. I bought it at Radio Shack because it wasn't as long as some of the other ones and it did have the cap to keep water out. The longer ones wouldn't allow me to attach the wires because it would hit the back of the fairing.
Probably goes without saying, but make sure it is fused and attached to a power point that is only on with the ignition. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Here is quite a neat idea if you bike doesn't have a CB fitted, as it goes where the CB would otherwise be in the left fairing knock out panel area.

http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/14364

You could take power directly from the battery terminals with a suitable fuse in line, if you would like it pemeantly live, or from the other side of the bike, from the accessory fuse panel, again, suitably fused.

The additional switches will be hand for controling any additional LED lights etc that you might choose to put on the bike at a later date.

A big warm welcome to the site while I am here and enjoy your visits here. :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

i just installed this set up in mine. iwired the 12v socket direct (fused) to the battery. and the switch to the extra driving lights, through a relay that turns off with the ignition key.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
imported post

I think the 2 exposed screws at the top of the fuse block are there for acc. wiring. According to my owners man. it's already fused.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I have mine mounted as Dusty does, and it is hot all the time. I didn't want to have to leave the key on if I needed the power scoket. And, welcome to the fourm, from sunny (raining today) Southern California. I have relatives in your area, well kind of close, plan of visiting next year.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the reminder, Bob.

I should mention that the cigarette lighter socket shown above, is constantly hot, while the 12v 'power outlet' in my fairing pocket(along with my switchable,aux 55W driving lamps)

are controlled by a relay and the ignition switch,

Dusty

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I replaced the cig lighter on my 1200 with one from Radio Shack (the cig lighter wasn't even wired). I ran the fusedhot wire straight to the battery terminal. Ihad a male plug and wired it to my battery tender and now I just plug my battery tender in there. If you wire it through the ignition you can't use this option. After I did it I heard that BMW is doing basically the same thing with their bikes.

Cerfer

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Warning..... be sure to check that the wires are not crossed in the Cig. lighter accessory plug unit. Some of the units I have purchased as plug and play..... also mostly made in China.... are wired in reverse. Instead of the bittom pin in the socket being 12v... the outer shell was 12v. Found this out the hard way a couple years ago when we burnt out a XM receiver thanks to the reversed wires. Now I check them all and have found 4 out of 10 from different suppliers are not correct!!! OUCH!
Just a heads up!!!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A big warm Welcome to the site Naki Kid, good to have you on board. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

I used one from J&P Cycles which mounts to the left handlebars,fused wires run back to battery so is hot all the time mounting it in the normal location on the GL1200,
right pocket area requires stopping to use it or throttle lock when moving,also used the 12V to provide power to my
GPS at same time,along with 2-switches that control my headlight off and driving lite setup via relays

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Gene..Glester had a nice setup on his 1500.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.