Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Fuel Pump Relay. . (The man at Honda told me it went in between the fuel guage sending unit to fuel readout), That was what I was told at Honda. I am going to take my faring off and check my 80. If wrong, I'll be back. But I agree, The fuel pumps are mechanical. I gustlabeled it wrong in the description.

Good Luck,

Nightrider1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

My 82 Interstate has a mechanical fuel pump. Replaced it 3 months a go for close $70 (if my failing memory serves me correct)

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Hey nightrider, I would think your GL1100 on your avatar has a mechanical fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Are you sure it's the pump causing problems? I just had to clean out junk in the tank that was stopping flow in the main tank feed. I used a siphon to suck the crud out and blew compressed air through the lines. After doing that I installed a new filter. What a difference.

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

That's a turn signal cancel control unit, an 1100 does have a mechanical fuel pump so if that fixed it it's a miracle or you wiggled a wire to something else and accidently fixed it.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:All GL1100's came from the factorywith a mechanical fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

The "pump" you see sticking out the rear of your bike's cylinder head is actually a two-piece unit composed of the fuel pump mechanism and the "collar" or adapter connecting it to the rear of the cam and base of the cylinder head. As the cam spins, a small lever inside the fuel pump assembly "bumps" against the cam end making the lever move ever so slightly in a "back and forth" movement. The movement of the lever pushes against a rubber diaphragm and the diaphragm, through suction, "pumps" fuel into the carbs. Normally, even when the bike is off, the fuel system will stay primed, so that when you hit the start button the fuel in the carb bowls is enough to start the bike and keep it going until the fuel pump builds enough pressure (about 2 pounds if I can remember) to do its job. You can test the fuel pump in a number of ways, including using fancy pressure gauges and all that but my method is the quickest but messisest... Turn off the handlebar mounted off/ on switch to "off" before continuing. Simply find the fuel line exiting the fuel pump (It will have an arrow pointing "out" on top of the fuel pump assy), disconnect the hose clamp securing the line to the fuel filter, pull the line free from the filter, and then point the line into a coffee can or similar container and crank over the bike. If the pump is working correctly you should IMMEDIATELY have fuel coming out the line (Don't smoke and all that other safety yah yah, ok?) =) If you crank the bike and it takes more than 2-3 seconds to pump or doesn't pump at all, there's a good chance the pump is bad. Sometimes, the pump "pumps" but at a diminished rate. This can be a clogged fuel line/ filter from the tank, obstruction in the tank itself, or a teeny tiny hole in the fuel pump diaphragm. I had this happen to a GL 1100 about 12 years ago (It drove me NUTS). It would run fine until you got on it a bit and then it would starve for fuel...
You can usually find used fuel pumps all day long on eBay, but my current GL 1100 is fitted with an adjustable electric fuel pump because it was about 1/3 the cost of a new Honda pump (mine was about 30 bux from Autozone). The electric pump is small enough that I left the dead fuel pump in place and mounted the electric pump next to it. I wired the pump to energize with the key (it only has 2 wires) and have not had any problems with it in 3 years. Good luck with your classic wing. We gotta' hang together so we can keep our "old girls" on the road. =) Squirts
http://www.htc.net/~squirts Squirts' Biker Page

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

DAVOGD430
The turn signal relay is round, usually silver colored, and mounts rightin front of the regulator. According to our Local Honda service. (The man in Honda's service deptlivesroughly 1/2 mile from me.)

Iam going to take my faring off and check it though. I have some work to do on my guage lights anyway. I'll be back for verfication.

Thanks.
Nightrider1

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

I did NOT call it a turn signal relay/flasher, it IS the cancel control unit. It is most definitely not a fuel pump relay.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

This one come off of an 82. Man at Honda just told me that. He may had mixed it up with an air pump relay. Anyhow, I was bored, and had nothing to do, and i posted these a while back, and got no replies.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.