Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI FELLOW WINGERS I own a 1995 g.w. 1500 se 130000 klm At end of driving season last year i had to install a new ALT. i upgraded to a 95 amp with new dampers Have steve saunders 2 videos which is worth its weight in gold:weightlifter:i tighten to specs When i took it out for test run it sounded noiser than old one and when starting off in first to second the bike seemed to lag Could new ALT be a little longer and putting stress on engine Has anyone had this problem. craig from new brunswick canada

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Craig
Did you up the idle rpms to 900rpm? That is about the minimum as there is more drag with the higher output alternators.
Did you put in a Compufire? Or what brand?
Did you upgrade the battery to an AGM type battery? If not you will boil out the acid in a wet cell battery, causing much damage that you do not want to deal with. Brake lines will fail from the acid as well as the frame paint will be ate away.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

HI STU THANKS FOR THE REPLY NEW TO FORUM NOTICED POST DID NOT GIVE MUCH OF A DESCRIPTION . WILL TRY TO CHANGEIT. NEW ALT. IS AN HITACHI NO DID NOT CHANGE BATTERY . ALT. SHOP WHERE I BOUGHT SAID I WOULD NOT HAVE TO CHANGE THE BATTERY. HE HAS A G. W. I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND BUY A GEL BATTERY TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE. I AM LOOKING FOR A USED C.B. AND ANTENA FOR MY 95 WING IF YOU SEE ONE FOR SALE COULD YOULET ME KNOW THANK YOU CRAIG

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

If your vented battery is still in good shape don't fall for the FUD "Fear, Uncertainty Doubt" spread by Compufire.
Nothing bad will happen so just use it until it needs replacing.
By all means when it comes time to replace it consider an AGM.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

Did you put the new dampers in correctly?
What did the noise sound like? New alternator with bad bearing? If the guy at the alternator shop rides a wing, he's got to be a good guy. Take it back and let him check it out. Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.