Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I installed an EC wiring harness on my 85 Aspy. I went with the EC harness for the relay (didn't want my coils powered up all the time). The bike was running good and the voltage was good, but the radio and headset was useless due to the amount of static. I was pleased with the final results, as the static is now gone and I can use my radio and intercom again. I was not pleased with the quality of the EC harness. First: One of the large red wires coming out of the 40 amp fuse was already starting to corrode at the fuse connector. I had to clean that up. Second: Where the large red wire split to 2 smaller wires, the crimp connector was not covered. No shrink wrap, no tape, no nothin. An easy fix, but still annoying. Third: One of the female crimped connectors for the coil just fell off in my hands. This guy raves about his crimps. I had to solder this connector back on before I could continue.

Has anyone installed the Campbell Harness and how was the quality?

Just some info for you folks that may be thinking of installing a harness.

Goldwings 4 ever.:):jumper:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I just recently installed a three fuse model and found it to be first class in both design and workmanship. Quality was very good.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

Run a search on this thread - its as crazy as the deer alert thread - just no funny at all. It got pretty hot. Good luck.

Mike

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwings 4 ever wrote:
Has anyone installed the Campbell Harness and how was the quality?

Just some info for you folks that may be thinking of installing a harness.
Goldwings 4 ever.:):jumper:
Just go to Dave Campbell's site and he will tell you that anyone else's harness is just crap and his is the only one anyone in his right mind would buy.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

It's true that Dave Campbell thinks he is a pretty great guy but I have to give him credit for the products that he sells. I installed his harness on my 86 SEi and found it to be good quality. He answered my questions immediately. I can't find any fault with him or with what he sells and his answers, at least to my questions, was good.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I must say: The bike was running fantastic before I installed the EC harness. I only installed it because I wanted to get rid of the radio and headset interference (which it did) and also for preventative maintenance for the future. I do intend to keep this Wing for a long time. I do have a lot of electrical experience, however, I don't have any degrees such as some designers do. I have been working with electrical wiring all my adult life (and I blew a couple of thing up experimenting as a kid too. LOL). The EC harness has some features that I liked. By using the relay it takes the coil load off of the ignition switch. That aside, after installing the harness, I had a good look at what it did and figured if it came to doing this again I would simply solder the yellow wires and run the grounds from the regulator directly to the battery to eliminate any resisteance in the ground circuit. This was probably what was causing the interference anyway. This could be a $5.00 fix and unfortunately I learned the expensive way. Oh well, it wasn't that expensive of a lesson overall (I've had more expensive ones in the past).

Goldwings 4 ever.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I can't say which one is better. DC claims that the EC harness is inferior to his harness and EC claims that the DC harness is inferior to their harness. Which is best... who knows?

Both harnesses have a fair amount of crimped connectors to fail. Looks to me like thatif someone was going to invent a harness to "eliminate many crimp connectors", they would go with solder connections that will not fail. I also noticed thatonly someof the crimp connections are covered with shrink wrap. This is another problem as far as I am concerned. I would cover them with shrink wrap to keep out as much moisture as possible. Some connectors have shrink wrap but there are some that do not. I wonder why? Why neither thought of putting shrink wrap on all connectorsis beyond me.

I have the EC harness but have not installed it. I ordered it before I really knew that much about either harness and liked it because of the relay. After learning about both harnesses, the relay is not that big of deal and could be done without. The DC harness is by far the cheapest of the two. As far as being the "best", well, I feel that that is just personal preference kinda like the engine lubricating fluid.

oil - shhhhh

I have been looking at the EC harness and have not discovered any loose connectors. I am considering removing the crimp connectors and making solder joints instead. Couldn't hurt any.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I have not met Mr. Campbell and no nothing of him except what he has on his web site which I found when researching some problems I was having with my 85 aspy. The items he listed that his harness would eliminate was exactly the ones I was having so I decided to give it a try. As i said earlier the workmanship and material was first class in my estimation and I installed it exactly according to his instructions. It did every thing he said it would and I feel it was a good value.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

The DC harness is definitely built better than the EC one. Dave Campbell does like to put everyone elses ideas down, which is a pity as he knows a lot about Goldwings but his harness has been built with the idea of improving on the Hondawiring and it does that easily.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

I had a similar experience as pjfsail,as I had some electrical issues with my86 Wing which I recently purchased. The bike had very low miles and I was concerned about itsoverall reliability. I purchased the harness from Campbell and in addition he advised me of several things to do to my Wing before even cranking it over again(timing belt replacement, change all fluids, filters, plugs,various electrical tests to run and of course the harness replacement!). I did all of these things and the result has been wonderful as the bike runs great! Theharness was of excellent quality and Campbell helped me with other issues besides the harness. He may be somewhat as others have described him, but with me at least, his manner was straightforward and professional.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

On the other side of the argument ....................... I purchased, and installed an EC harness about 3  1/2 years ago, not knowing about the DC harness... It has done exactly as advertised... and the charging circuits have behaved flawlessly since... In other words .. I liked it.   /forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif                         I do examine the connections, and crimps  for corrosion annually  (none yet ), and I did wonder why the  main fuse was not in a waterproof container ... but it did not seem  to have created any problems...                                               EC gave me a lot of  free and polite advice over the phone... and they seem to stand behind all their product line ../forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/clapper.gif........ and one freebee  that I just added this year ... The tiny wires from a voltmeter can be tapped into the  EC relay output foot... giving a accurate , and switched Voltmeter  connection (on the red wires, on a relay, on the Ignition Sw )./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/clapper.gif.....                                                                But  the on line  conversational static about  say, DC/forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif, and say Saber cycle/forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif do bother me.......  Its just a Goldwing , Folks, not the O-Rings for the Challenger ... and like most products in life  .... "Caveat Emptor "....... and these on line forum arguments  do not help any of us  in my major Goal :    "Carpe that old Diem "                      SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I fitted the DC harness to 3 GL1200s. All were well built. DC answers all his e-mails and likes to give more advice than you even ask for. Thats just his way and though it might not suit some people being told what they should do, Daves intentions are well-meant. :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

FOLLOW UP

I started installing the EC harness today. Some of the connections did not have shrink wrap on them and some did. I removed the shrink wrap from the ones that did have it and threw the whole thing up on the bench. I took out the solder gun and soldered all the crimp connections to ensure that they would stay on. I then applied shrink wrap to all solder connections.

The installation is going well considering that I don't have instructions. I have all the connections made at the relay and the 3 yellow wires soldered in. I don'tremember where the 2 green wires go and where the 2 red wires go. I will haveto call EC tomorrow to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Ok, got the harness installed and everything is up and running now. My problem was one of the connections at the pulse generator plug down by the battery. Repaired the connection and the bike fired right up.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Well done Chris, you should see a difference in the outut from the genny wiuth the new harness. :waving:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

I put the DC harness in last spring I did install a relay for the coils

great product no problems his response to questions is very good

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Everyone,

Dave Campbell used to post here and I for one really like him. Yes he is opinionated, but so am I...AND SO ARE YOU!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

I did go ahead, while I had the bike apart, and run new wiring for my Hondaline Voltage Gauge. I did use the EC harness to power the volt gaugeas some has suggested. I now have a direct, switched power source for my volt gauge.

It sure is nice going down the road and looking over and seeing 15.3v. on the reading instead of the normal 13.7 ~ 14.2. I went out for a night ride last night and without any extra lighting on, I was running at 15.3v. With all the LED lighting turned on, there was no drop noticed, still at 15.3v. I kicked on the 55w driving lights and was cruising at 65 mph and the reading was at 14.4v. Even when stopped at a red light with all LED's and driving lights on I never saw the gauge fall below 13.5v.

[align=center]:clapper:[/align]

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I've seen some EC GL1200harnesses installed and liked the look of them. Lewis at EC is a good man to deal with. If you get a bad harness, then instead of soldering and wrapping it,just send him an e-mail or phone him and he will send a new one out quickly. I bought a set of foglights from EC for my 03 GL1800 a couple of years back and the harness for the switch meant thet the switch had to be depressed for the lights to turn off. EC had made a new harness to replace the old one but my kit had the old type. I e-mailed Lewis and he immediately sent a new harness without any hassle.
Some companies are terrible to deal with, Electrical Connection is one of the better ones and I've never read a single post from any Wing ownerwho wasn't well looked after by them. :waving:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.