Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I cannot count the number of times I have had to Brake to allow A Left turning vehicle to cut me off. Usually the driver has the " OMG I didn't see you look on their face as they motor away. If you do any reading on Motorcycle safety this is a recurring theme for all the reason we all know about.

Back in the 1980's about the best one could do was to install a headlight pulser (my term) that constantly switched the headlight between two different brilliances. In todays work we can do better.

The other day I was driving on the highway and noticed a bicycle off in the distance with a brilliant flashing light. Without the light I would not have even noticed the bike for another 100 Yds due to the riders dark clothing. In thinking about that it got me to thinking if this might not be a solution to the problem or cage drivers not registering a motorcycle due to its small size and single headlight. So did a bit of research and came up with the a solution as seen in this following short video.

Let me know what you think.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
that is Illegal in Oklahoma, mostly because of the blueish color, and the flashing from side to side in the front...

BUT, FWIW, I would do it anyway and to hell with what the law says, the cops will not stop you for just that bit of light..... they will be happy to see you before they make a left turn in front of you.

·
Administrator
26,718 Posts
that is Illegal in Oklahoma, mostly because of the blueish color, and the flashing from side to side in the front...
Probably illegal everywhere but I wouldn't worry about it much.

·
Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

BUT, FWIW, I would do it anyway and to hell with what the law says, the cops will not stop you for just that bit of light..... they will be happy to see you before they make a left turn in front of you.

Kinda my thoughts as well. If I am stopped I am willing to debate the point with the cop.
If its the alternating side to side that twists their panties I will mount both on the same side.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
Kinda my thoughts as well. If I am stopped I am willing to debate the point with the cop.
If its the alternating side to side that twists their panties I will mount both on the same side.
I think that would negate any illegal type laws, after all, that is what the headlight modulators do kind of.

the first I I had, actually flashed high and low beams, a really bad idea, shortens the bulb life.

·
Administrator
26,718 Posts
I think that would negate any illegal type laws, after all, that is what the headlight modulators do kind of.

the first I I had, actually flashed high and low beams, a really bad idea, shortens the bulb life.
A flashing light is illegal, modulating them bright and dim without totally going off is not.

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
11 Posts
Over the years I cannot count the number of times I have had to Brake to allow A Left turning vehicle to cut me off. Usually the driver has the " OMG I didn't see you look on their face as they motor away. If you do any reading on Motorcycle safety this is a recurring theme for all the reason we all know about.

Back in the 1980's about the best one could do was to install a headlight pulser (my term) that constantly switched the headlight between two different brilliances. In todays work we can do better.

The other day I was driving on the highway and noticed a bicycle off in the distance with a brilliant flashing light. Without the light I would not have even noticed the bike for another 100 Yds due to the riders dark clothing. In thinking about that it got me to thinking if this might not be a solution to the problem or cage drivers not registering a motorcycle due to its small size and single headlight. So did a bit of research and came up with the a solution as seen in this following short video.

Let me know what you think.
Hey there,
What a great wee piece of kit! what brand or where can it be got please?
I've (2 weeks ago) gotten cleaned up by a wanker that pulled out clean in front of me 0 smashed collar bone, badly broken shoulder blade and 8 busted ribs - apparently I'm going to be out of action for the next 4 months !!

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
590 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wanker cleaning. Best wishes for a full and fast recovery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts