Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I thought some Goldwing owners who were considering installing HID lights in their bike might like this information. I installed this $40 kit from VVME, and was very impressed.

I was surprised with the VVME site - the HID kit was shipped from Hong Kong, and arrived at my house in Ohio four days after I ordered it. That's quick! I ordered this kit with the 9006 bulb, 4300K (brightest) temperature. I don't like the hyper-blue look, and am more interested in bright lights, so I didn't order the higher temperature bulbs.

The kit comes with two sets. Each set contains a ballast, a bulb, and a wire harness. The wire harness has a waterproof connector that plugs into the connector that the original OEM halogen bulb goes into. That wire runs to the ballast, and is where the ballast gets its power. Another wire, hard-wired to the ballast, ends in two waterproof connectors. These waterproof connectors plug into an identical set of connectors on the bulb itself. You can easily remove the HID kit and replace the original halogen bulb if you wish - none of the truck's wiring harness is cut or modified.

Last night I finally got some time to install it. The install took about an hour and a half. I started on the driver's side. Once I had the bulb out, I removed the battery from the truck. I drilled holes in the inside fender and mounted the ballast bracket. I then slid the ballast in place. I plugged all the wires together, then put the battery back into my truck:

I turned the lights on to test it - and nothing. The passenger side (which still had the original halogen bulb in it) came on, but the driver's side was dead. Swearing ensued.

I got my multimeter out, unplugged the main power connector at the ballast, and checked the voltage. To my surprise, it was backwards - it showed -12V instead of +12V - the positive was on the black wire, and ground was on the red. This meant the plug at the lamp connector was wired backwards.

I clipped these wires, reversed them, soldered them back on and put heat shrink tubing around them. I plugged it back into the ballast, turned it on, and success!

Before installing the second unit, I cut and reversed its power supply cable as well. For the passenger side, I located the ballast in almost the same place as I did the drivers side. In this case, I had to move it upwards slightly, so that the air cleaner cover would clear it when it was removed:

This one went much faster than the first one. 15 minutes later I was done, and both headlights were working.

So what do I think? Well the ballasts do make a hell of a buzzing noise when they first start up, and continue to do so after they have gone to full brightness. However you can only hear it from outside the truck - inside you can't hear them at all.

The lights themselves are startlingly bright - much whiter in color than the original halogens. This can be seen by turning on the high beams, which are still halogen. The high beams look positively yellow in comparison.

The cutoff at the bottom of the light is much more pronounced, and the spread seems wider, which I was not expecting. Overall it is far, far brighter than it was with the halogen bulbs. I drove around the block with them, and the snowbanks positively glowed. I'm very impressed, and highly recommend this kit!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

So, are you saying these work only on the low beam side and not on the upper, high beam side? I'd rather have it work on both if at all possible.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

My truck has two separate bulbs for low and high beam. When the highs are on, the lows stay on (unlike a lot of cars). I suppose I could spend another $40 and replace the high beam bulbs as well, but I don't really use them enough to really care.

They have kits that replace bulbs that perform both high and low beams for cars that use one dual filament bulb to perform both functions, although they're about twice the price.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Neat always looking at something else to spend my money on ....:cheeky1:...Will look and see if they can be used on my old 82 Wing....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

redbaron wrote:
Neat always looking at something else to spend my money on ....:cheeky1:...Will look and see if they can be used on my old 82 Wing....
Yup. Our 82 Wings use H4 headlight bulbs. They sell a kit that works with them here. You'd need to select the H4-3 kit. It's $80, but that's actually for two lights, so if you split the kit with another 82 owner, that would be $40 apiece.

One of the benefits is that the bulbs use 35 watts instead of the 55 watts the regular H4 bulbs use. When the Silverstar bulb I have in my bike now finally goes, I will probably put one of these in.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
redbaron wrote:
Yup. Our 82 Wings use H4 headlight bulbs. They sell a kit that works with them here. You'd need to select the H4-3 kit. It's $80, but that's actually for two lights, so if you split the kit with another 82 owner, that would be $40 apiece.

One of the benefits is that the bulbs use 35 watts instead of the 55 watts the regular H4 bulbs use. When the Silverstar bulb I have in my bike now finally goes, I will probably put one of these in.
You're right, I was checking them out and noticed the kit comes with 2 setups. I'll order one when I get the change and give my brother one of them for his 83 he's restoring.

I really like the lower wattage draw since I have a trailer to pull at times.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

GL-1800 uses H-7 incandescent bulbs which are available from other suppliers (www.intensehid.com), but I'm wondering if a HID retrofit would have a legal pattern in both hi- and low-beam applications. OEM HID headlamp systems in high-tech autos are engineered for legal compliance, but irresponsible after-market suppliers may not necessarily comply. PIAA warns against highway use. How could one tell on the 25-foot garage door pattern ?

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

The pattern will be the same as with stock bulbs but way brighter. The problem I have with them is they somehow block FM radio reception but I like the lights so much I can do without FM, got an iPOD. I was told there are digital ballasts that won't do that.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

I used to have a business polishing out yellowed headlight lenses.

Many times people would get me to check out their headlights that had gone cloudy and I'd have to tell them I couldnt do anything about it.

Why? because they had installed HID lamps in headlights that were not designed for it. The extra light generates extra heat, and the inside surfaces of the lenses cooked to a milky white color...

Some models of Cadillacs/Chevys do it from the factory.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
I used to have a business polishing out yellowed headlight lenses.

Many times people would get me to check out their headlights that had gone cloudy and I'd have to tell them I couldnt do anything about it.

Why? because they had installed HID lamps in headlights that were not designed for it. The extra light generates extra heat, and the inside surfaces of the lenses cooked to a milky white color...

Some models of Cadillacs/Chevys do it from the factory.
Pic of temp of HID light.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

Pic of temp of OEM halogen light. Not a very good pic but the temp is 256 F,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I was going to make the same comment - incandescent lights burn a great deal hotter than HID's. If anything, I would guess that it is UV radiation coming off the HID bulbs that would fog the plastic. Same thing you see on the cheap Dodge Neon headlights, only that's on the outside of the lens, from the sun's UV radiation.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

How ya doin again? Hope all is well! ya always hv great info, now I have ordered a fifties style ornament lamp for my GL's front fender, just wondering should I just splice it into the lamps on either side of the lower forks? and should I fuse it? have'nt done much add ons with this bike, because mostlty everything was there already, would like to find those hondaline engine covers like I saw on the 83, which macth the fairing bags etc. in color.

http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/ProductDetail?sku=7110075&N=275065&Ne=755118&Ntk=All&Ntt=&Ns=DefaultSort&results=10&No=40

still want more lamps to homage the well litup Harleys of my Childhood which had at times beautiful continental kits which I sadly can't find, wonder if those guys fabricated them ?

Peace

Attachments

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
imported post

Hey Dave my Dad Walter Sharpe grew up somewhere around there, now long retired, he still goes back every year, I hope to make it there at some point! I think He useta work with horse's, never could figure out how He'd ended up being a professional meat cutter, well I guess it passed on (job mismatch) I went to school over the years Chicago Art Institute, after Mil Service Columbia College studied Camera, and design, later Ad design, media, and guess what I became a Trucker, lol funny my cousin offered me a job in LA, but I guess since I would have to start by hustlin coffe n donuts for higher up's I said forget about it!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

hey im so glad i saw this post, i installed h4-9003 and wow what a difference,adjusted and no flashing from other drivers,90.00 bucks inc shipping 3 days delivery and extra ballast and bulb, did have to modify harness slightly,nothing major, anyone could do it, just lengthening wires[hardest part] put my ballast in rt pocket. i did use digital slim ballast, and NO noise in radio except actual start up, [little] also dont expect them to come on right away, they need a couple secs to warm up. im a happy camper, oh mine is 87 aspy:applause::applause::bow::hoppingmad::clapper:

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

I ordered up a set of the Bixenon (hi/lo beam)HID conversion from the same company as GSMacLean did.It came with two of everything needed for a car or truck,I wanted it for my 1100. The bixenon bulb has an electromagnet on the end that moves the bulb a little to give you the different focal point needed to give Hi beam. As a result the bulb is a little longer than the single beam bulbs.From the mounting ring to the end of the bulb is 2 inches,the space in the fairing is right around 1-1/2 inches.I modified the headlight to move it forward enough to use the HID bixenon bulb.

pictured below shows the stock type bulb and the bixenon HID

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
imported post

it moves the face of the headlight out a little giving enough room for the bulb but doesnt change the way the assembly mounts in the fairing. this is how much it sticks out the front now. The light out put is awesome.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.