Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had to remove both OEM control pods... Do I need something to replace them .. What? and where do I get them, best $$$... Love the effects of the lights... the alternator is putting out 14.4 volts...

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

This would probably be better off in the tech section.

By control pods do you mean the flashers? When installing LED turn signals you will need to go with solid state flashers or flashers made for LEDs (or add resistors to the LED turn lights but that defeats the reason to go LEDs). You should be able to get the flashers from the same place you got the LEDs.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I am totally confused on the LED light changes. I purchased all the bulbs needed to change out the rear turns (and fronts), brake and running lights. I changed the turn lights first, same thing, they blink fast. I have a 85 LTD, so which flasher do I replace? I think there are 2, #6 and #7 in the fuse box, Both of these or another one. I have heard that the cancellation function won't work with these, then I heard it would........ When I put the brake lights in, I lose the running lights on the newly installed bulbs..... Don't know why, there are duel.... Operating?? Guess ya can't say duel filament anymore. Also need to find a suitable, reasonably price set of fog lights to replace mine. They are nice and bright but when I turn them on I go from 13.6 to 12.4 on the voltage meter.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Thanks, I will get 2 of them to try. Now any ideas as to why the running lights don't work with LED's.... Lost on that one. Brake lights work fine even though I used white bulbs, they were nice and bright (brighter than the regular bulbs. Just couldn't get the running lights to work.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Sorry, Misinformation in that last post. Fuse position #6&7 are for the courtesy lights.

I don't have 2 flasher relays, I have 1 and I have 1 hazard relay. Are they the same relay? Seems to work the same just a different circuit according to my book.

Thanks again and I didn't mean to high jack this post, but we are talking about the same subject.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Thanks, I will get 2 of them to try. Now any ideas as to why the running lights don't work with LED's.... Lost on that one. Brake lights work fine even though I used white bulbs, they were nice and bright (brighter than the regular bulbs. Just couldn't get the running lights to work.
Sounds like you got the 1156 bulb. You need 1157 for the brake/running light feature.

Don't use white LED's, use the same color LED's as the lens they will be behind because LED's only emit light in one color spectrum wavelength versus an incandescent which emits all color spectrum wavelengths (producing the white that we see). That is why incandescent bulbs work well behind any color lens. Example, A red lens will filter out all spectrum wavelengths except red. A white LED will make a red lens look pink or even orangish as it only emits light in the white spectrum wavelength.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I did get the 1157's, even double checked after I installed them and they didn't work on running lights, even without the brake being on. However..... they were cheap leds on ebay,,, Maybe not the best.

I read the red light with red lens thing after I installed these, they didn't work and took them out but was dumb(founded) and went back down and took it apart and reinstalled them to see, I have to admit, they looked great even for being white. But I will probably ditch them and go with a good red bulb and see if that works.

Will I need to change all 4 brake light bulbs to test this, or can I just change 2 at a time? This bike is killing me $$ wise right now.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Try this site
www.superbrightleds.com

The ones we replaced on my brother's 1200 when he had it was the tower style 1157-R18-T and are $17.95 each. Yes you can just replace two at a time.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Heres a pic of the 2 different types of bulbs I ordered:

The one on the right, as you can see has the offset pins on the side, the other has 2 pins that are at the same position on each side

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

The one on the left is a 1156 and the right one looks to be an 1157...need to see the bottom of the one on the right.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Bottom of the right has 2 sodder marks for electrical contact (Brake and running) and the one on the left has just a single center post.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Yep

Left is a 1156 and the right is a 1157.

The right LED should work both running and brake. If it only works with brake and an incandescent bulb works both running and brake, then the LED is bad.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I suspect the cheap $1.99 bulb is no good. If I play with it in the socket, while in backwards, I can get it to come on very very bright, Like its the brake light, but other than that....... They don't work.

Get what ya pay for I guess....

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

Look closely at your sockets some of the sockets are for 1177 bulbs which are tail/turn the pins are straight across you can change the sockets to 1157 or get 1177 bulbs. I filed the top pin and plugged in the 1157 bulbs and yahoo tail and turn/stop lights.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

use two pieces of wire or volt meter to test it. One wire neg to outside of bulb and pos wire to one of the metal prongs. test both prongs, oh you need 12 v to.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

use two pieces of wire or volt meter to test it. One wire neg to outside of bulb and pos wire to one of the metal prongs. test both prongs, oh you need 12 v to.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I tested the 1157 bulb. Plug it in like it should, 1 bulb, not two or 4, just 1, it comes on really bright, like I have the brakes on. Put all 4 in and they are normal, hit the brake and they go dark.... nothing, no tail or brake lights...

I played with it by putting it in the socked backwards (obviously wouldn't fit) but was able to make contact and tail light worked. Didn't check for Brake. I might try to cut a socket off an wire it backwards to accommodate the bulb and see if it works.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
I tested the 1157 bulb. Plug it in like it should, 1 bulb, not two or 4, just 1, it comes on really bright, like I have the brakes on. Put all 4 in and they are normal, hit the brake and they go dark.... nothing, no tail or brake lights...

I played with it by putting it in the socked backwards (obviously wouldn't fit) but was able to make contact and tail light worked. Didn't check for Brake. I might try to cut a socket off an wire it backwards to accommodate the bulb and see if it works.
OK....lets start back over again.
With the problem described above, does an incandescent bulb work in the socket? If so...the LED is bad. If the incandescent bulb acts the same as the LED, you are losing your ground somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

No, I don't have any issues at all with the incandescent, just these cheap LED's..... But is it the LED's, or do I need something else in line in order to run the LED's.

Or do I just need to get my wallet out and forget about getting out of this cheaply.....:cheesygrin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.