Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

new EC harness, followed instructions as best I could, discovered some monkey had his hands in there before me. There were/are NUMEROUS electrical tape joints! mismatched wire colors and gauges! I'm about 85% sure I have the harness in correctly but cannot get the engine to start. coils have 12vDC +-, when switched, they are grounded, and connected to appropriate side of engine... can anyone guide me for another area I may have screwed up while fiddling aroung here? Friends here at work have suggested the fuel pump, and I will look at that tonight. The engine turns over, lights work, but no starty! what gives?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

avnsteve wrote:
new EC harness, followed instructions as best I could, discovered some monkey had his hands in there before me. There were/are NUMEROUS electrical tape joints! mismatched wire colors and gauges! I'm about 85% sure I have the harness in correctly but cannot get the engine to start. coils have 12vDC +-, when switched, they are grounded, and connected to appropriate side of engine... can anyone guide me for another area I may have screwed up while fiddling aroung here? Friends here at work have suggested the fuel pump, and I will look at that tonight. The engine turns over, lights work, but no starty! what gives?
avnsteve, well if it cranks, you are either missing fuel or spark? See if it has spark at all 4 plug wires (test one at a time as it uses one plug on a coil to ground the other).. If you don't have spark trace the ign feed (B+) to the spark module box.. If you do have spark suspect a fuel problem like petcock or pump.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Was the bike running before you replaced the harness?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
imported post

avnsteve...If your bike was running before the EC Harness install? Try and swap the coil wires from left to right...The Instructions tell you if the bike cranks,but doesn't start-to start there!

Another thing that happens is..The Batery is not disconnected when installing the Harness,and sometimes a fuse in the harness gets blown..So check both fuses in the harness fuse holders,Could be that simple??

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

avnsteve...If your bike was running before the EC Harness install? Try and swap the coil wires from left to right...The Instructions tell you if the bike cranks,but doesn't start-to start there!

Another thing that happens is..The Batery is not disconnected when installing the Harness,and sometimes a fuse in the harness gets blown..So check both fuses in the harness fuse holders,Could be that simple??
yeah, it was running before the harness. I suspected the fuses in the new harness for that very same reason, but they check out (continuity test) the only thing I haven't checked as of this message is the spark plugs and the fuel pump with associated circuits/fuses.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Double check the connections (again I'm sure :shock:) to make sure the connectors made it onto the spade connectors and didn't get wedged in NEXT to the connector on the coils. I installed the DC harness on my 83 and asked my son to plug the coil wire for the right side coil in for me because it was such a tight fit for my big hand. He slipped it right on! When I started it, it was obvious it was only running on two cylinders. I used a small inspection mirror and saw that my son had slipped the connector in next to the connector :doh:instead of on it. 15 minutes and bloody hands later I was up and running on all four! :cooler:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

good call Bob, I'll check that today after work. I did not get a chance last night to do anything to the wing, my girlfriend had a broken toilet at her house so I was over there wrestling turds until almost 10pm!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

avnsteve wrote:
good call Bob, I'll check that today after work. I did not get a chance last night to do anything to the wing, my girlfriend had a broken toilet at her house so I was over there wrestling turds until almost 10pm!
It's a matter of priorities avnsteve ! lol :gunhead: You probably made the right choice!

Bob

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

seems we ALL pay for it in some way or another...

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

OOOHHHHH!!! Avnsteve... You mean the bike... Just goes to show where my mind is... CHESSSSEEEE..... :doh:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

no, actually, I was not referring to the bike

:bananas:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

In that case,,,,, I agree completely....:sozzled:

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

A little update:

there is a red wire (one end goes up into the harness and into oblivion)the other end, when connected to the battery causes the relay on the new harness to click when its switched by the key. and there are numerous (green) ground wires that have been bodged together. I connected the green to ground and the red to the battery, cranked the eng but still nogo. It is far too hot to work on this thing in my back yard (which is the only place I have at the moment) still haven't checked on the spark plugs but the coils do have 12V when switched. any help?

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Fuel..... If you have compression,,,, Spark,,,, and Fuel... The engine has to fire.. Do the simple things first... check the kill switch & be sure it's in the run position.. Be sure the fuel shut-off is open... It's the little things that can bite you.. :shakehead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.