Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I installed a new set of Kuryakyn ISO grips today on my 1500. All I can figure out is in the process of putting the new grip on the throttle sleeve, I must have got a little glue inbetween the throttle sleeve and the bars. My throttle still works, but it sticks. I have put a little acetone in the end of the grip to try to dissolve the glue and then took the cruise controlswitches loose and sprayed WD-40 between the throttle sleeve and the bars to try to loosen it up. It still sticks, but is not as bad as it was. I figure it will free up on it's own given time, I hope. Was wondering if anyone else has done this and what they did to remedy the problem. I would hate to have to replace the throttle sleeve, but if it doesn't loosen up, guess that is a option. Thanks in advance.

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would say, take it all apart, remove the throttle cables again and just remove the end cap and the whole grip, then clean the bar and inside of the throttle sleeve with some commercially available super glue remover(you can get it at a hobby shop or sometimes a hardware store)

Clean it well and then re-install it all. That way your throttle may not stick open at a bad time. Of course you can always hit the kill switch, but spilled glue especially that kind will not go away on its own, that is some tough stuff.

Put an old blanket over the bike too, that stuff, just one drip and it ruins the paint job.

Kit

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Kit. I haven't checked on what is involved in taking the throttle cables loose. I had the top off the switch housing on the throttle side but didn't pay any attention to what would be involved in removing the cables and removing the throttle sleeve with the grip still on it. I agree with the glue being hard to remove, that is good stuff for sure. Had a friend helping me install them and before I could stop him, he had put the glue on the grip instead of the throttle sleeve and had already slid the grip up on the sleeve. I was installing the other side, and should have known better, and let him do the side that you can't hardly screw up. If you could give me a idea on the cables I would appreciate it. Thanks again for your fast response.

Cobra

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well the glue most likely did not go far, maybe, (maybe you can work on it without totally taking it off. Anyways you will need to loosen the cables at the switch, those two knurled nuts, move them one way or the other till you gain a bit of slack, inside the switch housing that you were in you will see the cables in the grooved part of the throttle sleeve, turn the sleeve till you see the round end cross bar that is press fitted unto the cable (two) Carefully with needle nose pliers line the cable up with the vertical slot and slide the end piece out. On the end of the grip under the end cap or now the new grip will be an fastener that holds the grip, remove that and then just carefully lift it up and out of the switch housing .

Pay attention to which cable goes to which slot and hole it will be necassary to gently pull against the carb springs and rotate the throttle sleeve to replace the cables.

It is not hard, you will see, just be careful and do not kink the cable, slow and easy. But maybe from what you have said, the glue is on the throttle sleeve at the switch housing, pushed over the edge of it an has dripped unto the throttle sleeve between it and the housing, if so ,simply loosen the cables for slack, and you will be able to get enough play to take a look. A cotton swab soaked with the remover might work in that situation, and I suspect it is right on the edge of the throttle sleeve, right where it rotates in the housing.

Kit

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks again Kit. Doesn't sound too hard. I think that the glue is going to be right at the end of the grip, where the grip started on the throttle sleeve at the end of the handle bars. I took the cap off the end of the new grip but couldn't see anything. Still put a little acetone in there to try to soften the glue, and made sure I didn't get any on the bike. I took the switch housing apart to spray WD-40 in from that end. I did look in my repair manual and it doesn't look like it is too big a job to take the throttle sleeve off. I do think that I am going to have to take the throttle sleeve all the way off to clean off the glue and then reinstall everything. The only reason to remove the end cap on the new grip is to be able to clean that end of the throttle sleeve, right? Otherwise, everything could be done from the other end of the sleeve with it off. Thanks again.

Cobra

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Just wanted to let you know Kit that I took the throttle sleeve off today and cleaned everything up good, put it all back together and the throttle works like a new one. :cool:Wasn't so much that the glue got in between the sleeve and the bar, but it was just nasty,:shock: plus a little bit of glue as well.:baffled: Most of it was just dust, grime, old paint off the handlebars, and the like. Sure appreciate the help and thanks again!:cooler::cooler::cooler:

Cobra

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:cool:Kit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.