Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I've read many times how easy it is to install a GL1500 alternator on the side of the road...one hand, one wrench etc. Well I'm having a nasty time trying to get the mofo to stick its fins between the rubber bits. What's the secret?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Mine were shrunk up hard and brittle, so I replaced 'em with new - the new, flexibleblocksstayed in place on their own.

If you're using the old ones, I wouldn't be afraid to stick 'em in there with a dab of shortening, grease, or something else that will melt away harmlessly when the heat gets to it.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The rubber was new a year ago. What I'm doing is putting the rubber in the engine first between the vanes. Then trying to push the alternator vanes into the slots midway on the rubbers. I tried lubing w/armorall. Maybe some grease?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Make sure you have the rubbers in the right way round if not the little straps will stop it going in, just line up the fins and shake the alt in dontdrive it home with the bolts as you will only cause damage there should be no lub required and last have the alt in the right upright position as you may be snagging it on the rear if it still wont fit reinstall the old one to make sure all is ok

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.