Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 Goldwing Aspencade, removed the Final Drive to lube the splines. Pulled the drive apart to check gear and pinion wear. Can't get the pumpkin back together all then way. lacks about 1/4" from going back together. What am I doing wrong. Remember it being a little difficult coming apart. Don't want to force it.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
If it is like the 1500 you will need to stick one hand in under the u-joint to lift it just a tad. Made mine much easier to install. Tried using a screwdirver with no dice, swithced to fingers and done in one minute.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
I used a flash light to look up through the swing arm and a long enough dowel rod with my molly brush taped to it to grease the u-joint. Then I moved the u-joint so the drive shaft would slide in. It took a couple tries to get it in there. I also put the spider gear in the final drive so I could rotate the drive shaft back and forth until the splines lined up. After I got it in there and had one or two bolts holding it I rotated the spider gear while shifting the bike into gear to be sure it didn't miss the hole. I was easier than pulling the boot back to get to the u-joint.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Do you mean you actually took apart the final to see the pinion and ring gear ?

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
Rudy advised me of a method to reinstall the the shaft. While pressing forward on the pumpkin press the starter button. This spins and centers the u-joint. Worked for me. Took no more than 2 seconds. May take two people.

·
Just Winging It
3,327 Posts
I think OnaWingandaPrayer is right. schmitt654 said
Pulled the drive apart to check gear and pinion wear. Can't get the pumpkin back together all then way.

Anyone ever take the final drive apart and put it back together?

I thought about it but settled for dumping it out (while off the bike)and cleaning with some seafoam then dumping it. new oil and a few changes at the same time I change the engine oil to get it cleaner in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.