Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have had it! I have looked everywhere for instructions on how to install GL1100 "stock" floorboards. The previous owner removed them and when I bought the bike he handed me a bucket of parts - which included the floorboards.

I would appreciate it if anyone could describe (diagram or pictures would be great!) where you attach the bars???

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey Michael H.,

:waving: :waving: Welcome to the Best GoldWing Forum on the net! :waving: :waving:

Someone will be along shortly with the answers you are looking for. These guys are really good at helping you with your problems.

Where is Winfield :stumped: Is this the one in Kansas :stumped:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Michael H. wrote:
I have had it! I have looked everywhere for instructions on how to install GL1100 "stock" floorboards. The previous owner removed them and when I bought the bike he handed me a bucket of parts - which included the floorboards.

I would appreciate it if anyone could describe (diagram or pictures would be great!) where you attach the bars???

Thank you!

Michael,

WELCOME!!:byebye:

The gl1100 didn't come with floorboards (that I've seen anyway).

Do they look like these?

If so:

• the mounting brackets at the top of the picture go to the bottom motor mount (a rod that goes from right to left under the front portion of the motor & frame).
  • The two "L" brackets bolt to the rear header bolts for #1 &#3 cylinder's exhaust headers.
  • The mounting holes at the bottom of the picture go the foot peg mounting holes.
    • The one on the left has a thin spacer (a little thicker than a standard washer) that goes between the head of the bolt & the bracket (it's very tight, but it'll go). Remove the Heal/Toe shift to mount the board.
    • The right also has a spacer (about 1/4") that goes between the head of the bolt & the bracket.
  • Once you've got the boards on, install the Heal/Toe shifter. It slides over the sifting fork, then bolts onto the bracket.
I hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I love this bar..

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

No such thing as stock floor boards. Is there any name or number on the boards. Markland made a lot of boards. They had a 3 point connection. Front engine mount, Exhaust bolt, and old peg mount.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Fuggetabodit! The standard pegs are better for you!

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

... What a grouch, Exavid!../forums/images/emoticons/tongue.gif.. I can only assume that you consider boards, and shifters to be in the same camp as back rests, and MP3 players... What did you call all this stuff ??/ "Old man's  gear ??? Hmmmmmfh! SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I tend to fall into the same groove as Exavid... I've never had, nor do I like floor boards.. The OEM foot rests feel good and allow me confidence when moving my feet from them to the ground when coming to a stop..

However,, Highway foot rests are definitely on the top of the list for comfort add-ons.. No problems there.

It all comes down to personal preference.. There are no rules for personal comfort..

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Michael. Welcome to the forum! Don't let the no-floorboard people change your mind. My 1200 had floorboards and a driver's backrest when I got it. The floorboards took some getting use to, but when I got use to the feel of riding with them, I like them.

Backrest is the same way. Getting on the bike is a bit harder, but my sure back likes it while on the road.

Really, about the only thing I needed to do to my bike was to get a tape adaptor so I can play my iPod Shuffle thru the cassette player.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

I thought this would be a good string to put my question into...

I bought a pair of driver floorboards on eBay, they look very much like the passenger boards on my 84 Aspencade so I think they may have been a Honda option (there is no other marking on them). My problem is with the brake pedal. I took these pics to help explain how the pedal is in the way of the mounting bracket. Is there another brake pedal shaped in such a way to go down under the floor board. And if so does anyone know the part # etc. ?

Thanks

roy

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I do not think those are the correct boards for that wing.. My boards have a gap on the right side that allows your EXACT brake pedal bar to just clear  the boards  .. The boards are a little more outboard on the right to allow this (necessary ) clearance ... You are gonna have to put those boards back on E-Bay./forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif. or fabricate a brake pedal to  allow the clearanc/forums/images/emoticons/shock.gife... or... best .... use left side boards, right side pegs./forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif... LOL... now THAT would be  a bunny "with a pancake on its head " ...LOL SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Trying to follow thread...

1) Honda has never put "Drivers Floorboards" on a Gold Wing.

The ones that look like Hondas passenger footrests, were most likely made by Markland.

Showchrome and MC Enterprises made the "Half moon rounded" ones.

Most came with a brake pedal as the stock one would not function with the boards installed, if I remember correctly some recommended repositioning the stock pedal, but offered a replacement pedal.

Caution:

If installing drivers floorboards, make sure that they are free to fold or the first time you touch one down, you'll lever the rear wheel off the ground and take a spill. Usually a high-side when the tire comes back into contact with the pavement.

If you have questions, check with someone knowledgable in your area, it's your hide.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

Thanks Tony, no problem, these boards hinge just like the passenger ones.

So, from your info, I guess I'm looking for the brake pedal that came with the boards. But to make it tough, there is not a name or number on the boards.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Have we determined these boards to be Markland ?

I'll do a quick search to see about a brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hey, just want to say thanks to all of you for the great help and advise, the picture and step-by-step helped! I used the info and installed the boards and they work great! I appreaciate it! Now, if the [email protected]##%$ rain wouls stop and allow a ride... I have an 83 GL1100I - Lucille. Is there ever forum talk (or is it allowed) around the subject of where good, really good bike shops are? I am always looking in the southern Wichita to Winfield area.

Michael H.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Michael,

Good bike shops in Wichita :stumped: :baffled: :stumped: Don't know of a good bike shop, especially for a wing. There is Kamakazi Cycle downtown on Douglas but I would not consider it a good shop. He has been in business for many years and has fairly good prices and a repair shop but is very lacking in the parts department. He can get you what you want but he does not carry much of anything in stock.

Mid America Power Sports is on West Street just south of Central. They have a fairly good selection of parts and quite a bit in after-market stuff. Of course most of it is for new bikes.

If you run across a "good" shop, let me know.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

johnmac wrote:
Hi Michael. Welcome to the forum! Don't let the no-floorboard people change your mind. My 1200 had floorboards and a driver's backrest when I got it. The floorboards took some getting use to, but when I got use to the feel of riding with them, I like them.
I understand both sides of this issue. I have a 1200 GLI and the guy I bought it from included (in a box) brand new floorboard/heel-toe shifter kit. I have chosen not to install this stuff because at 6'3", the floorboards would only serve to confine me even more that the pegs do. I have floorboards/heel-toe shifter on my cruiser and love them but the layout of the bike allows for them with a long-legged rider. On the Wing, I don't think this would be an issue for a shorter individual, but it is a point worth keeping in mind. OTOH, I really do want some highway pegs as the ergonomics for tall people works well for them.

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
imported post

Curt Miller wrote:
because at 6'3", the floorboards would only serve to confine me even more that the pegs do.
On the Wing, I don't think this would be an issue for a shorter individual, but it is a point worth keeping in mind. OTOH, I really do want some highway pegs as the ergonomics for tall people works well for them.
You're exactly right. I am a taller person myself (6' 1 1/2") and I have tried a bike with the floorboards and a heel/toe shifter and it is very uncomfortable. First off, you have to lift your foot off the board to get onto the shifter. Your legs are already bent back underneath you. With having to lift your foottoget onto the shifter, it always seems to make my leg want to cramp up. It is very uncomfortable. I don't intend to ever install floorboards for this reason alone. Don't get me wrong, I like the feel of the boards but I just don't like the heel/toe shifter thing.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

Curt Miller wrote:
johnmac wrote:
I understand both sides of this issue. I have a 1200 GLI and the guy I bought it from included (in a box) brand new floorboard/heel-toe shifter kit. I have chosen not to install this stuff because at 6'3", the floorboards would only serve to confine me even more that the pegs do. I have floorboards/heel-toe shifter on my cruiser and love them but the layout of the bike allows for them with a long-legged rider. On the Wing, I don't think this would be an issue for a shorter individual, but it is a point worth keeping in mind. OTOH, I really do want some highway pegs as the ergonomics for tall people works well for them.
Hey johnmac... I'm new to the forum too but have been a wing rider since 1982. Started with a 75 "dresser" (Vetter, Bates bags, and a ARE boot). Currently have an 84 Interstate. Question for you: Do you still have the driver floorboard kit? Due to medical problems I lost my lower right leg in Jan this year and have been looking for a very cheap price on floorboards. Yes I can ride the bike okay but the footpegs are a little bit high. My 75 Wing had driver floorboards and I taught the MSF riders course demonstrating the exersizes on the bike just to prove to all the cruiser/race bike nuts that they could be done on a "big" bike. Been trying to find floorboards that don't don't cost an "arm" (already gave up the leg :p). Looked on JCW site and they only go up to a 1983 Wing.. Looks like they would "almost" fit but not sure... I could afford those at $109, but would hate to get them and find out they won't. IF you still have them...

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.