Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Happy New Year Everyone,

I received a portable GPS for Christmas and I would like to install a electrical accessory/lighter socket. I own a 1989 GoldWing and I bought a electrical accessory; however I read somewhere that it will not fit on the bike where the instructions recommend. Has anyone out there ever installed an electrical accessory on their 89 GW, and will you please give me some advise as to where to install one.

I would hate to drill a 7/8" hole in my GW and find that the accessory will not fit.

Thank You in advance for your help.

Your Friend,

John D.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

My 91I had a square, plugged hole of sorts right below the right side front speaker. I'm not sure what it was supposed to be used for, but I do now, that's where my power port resides now. It's deep enough for the one I bought. Measure once cut twice type deal...errr...something like that. :action::action:

Hope that helps...

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

I would recommend checking http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/tt26.html, and find your particular GPS unit and the wiring harness for it rather than using a cigarette lighter for power. The 1800's have a place to plug in the lighter under the left side faring pocket, but I don't know if the 1500 does or not.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

See if this helps any with the power needs:

http://goldwingtech.info/auxwiring/auxpwrwiring.html

As far as mounting the lighter socket, a lot of guys put it inside the left fairing pocket and drill the hole in the back (front side of the bike) of the box for it. There is plenty of room behind that.
I left mine loose and just lay it in the box unmounted so it is more flexible for different things.

Some guys have a knob on the right side next to the right speaker like the left one has for the headlight adjustment. The one on the right is for vent adjustment. If you don't have a bike model with that knob, a lot of guys use that space for a lighter socket.

Mine doesn't take a drill or any holes/mods to the bike plastics.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Me, I just went to a straight wire up to the battery with a inline fuse and bypassed the lighter plug. It would have been better to wire to a ignition powered lug somewhere so I don't have to remember to turn it off though. I have a Garmin Zuno and found a handle bar mount on E-bay - CHEAP!

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

goldwinger43 wrote:
Me, I just went to a straight wire up to the battery with a inline fuse and bypassed the lighter plug. It would have been better to wire to a ignition powered lug somewhere so I don't have to remember to turn it off though. I have a Garmin Zuno and found a handle bar mount on E-bay - CHEAP!
Beware! Many GPS, cell phones, satellite radios etc. do NOT run on 12 volts. Inside the "cigarette lighter plug" is actually a DC/DC voltage converter/regulator that drops the 12 volts down to 5 or 6 volts. If you cut off the lighter plug and wire it directly into 12 volts, you'll be sending 12 volts to expensive electronics that is expecting much less voltage, which will in turn emit expensive smoke followed by extensive profanity.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
goldwinger43 wrote:
Beware! Many GPS, cell phones, satellite radios etc. do NOT run on 12 volts. Inside the "cigarette lighter plug" is actually a DC/DC voltage converter/regulator that drops the 12 volts down to 5 or 6 volts. If you cut off the lighter plug and wire it directly into 12 volts, you'll be sending 12 volts to expensive electronics that is expecting much less voltage, which will in turn emit expensive smoke followed by extensive profanity.
And we all know its the smoke that makes all that electrinic stuff works. Once the smoke leaves, they stop working!:cheeky1:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.