Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got an '83 interstate that just has the temp guage. I've been thinking about installing an amp and oil pressure guage and have a few questions first.

Will the sending units be sufficient to hook up to a guage instead of an idiot light, and if not are there sending units made for the bike that are obtainable?

I'm looking at installing them on the panel of the fairing.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Both volt, amp and oil pressure gauges can easily be installed on any motorcycle. you have a huge selection of analog and digital gauges available, depending upon your budget and mounting preferences. You must remember to get gauges that are hardened for outside use such as marine and motorcycle units.

John

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I put a voltmeter on my 87 wired in the fuse box. If you want to use an analog oil pressure gage, you will probably need the sender and line to carry the oil. It depends on what you are looking at. It's doable.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I stuck a 82' gauge housing on my 83'. I just added a Volt and Clock though. I didnt opt for a temp. Nothing fancy. Had a Volt meter already here and the clock was $6 from Rielly's Auto. I put my toggles on the plate inbetween them. I think it came out good. Pretty simple.

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

You can't use an oil sender that work a light for a gauge, the simplest way is a mechanical gauge but if you do it T it in with the light so if it does loose pressure you will notice a light come on but may not be looking at the gauge all the time.
Really an AMP meter will disappoint you so just use a volt meter.

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I needed a voltmeter for my 81. I found just the right meter at my local Honda outboard dealer. I paid $9.95 for it and it is weather proof. I mounted it on the faring using a hole saw and wired it to the aux connections on the fuse panel. The color scheme matches the other gauges and it even says Honda on it.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Peterbylt wrote:
I needed a voltmeter for my 81. I found just the right meter at my local Honda outboard dealer. I paid $9.95 for it and it is weather proof. I mounted it on the faring using a hole saw and wired it to the aux connections on the fuse panel. The color scheme matches the other gauges and it even says Honda on it.

that looks great :cool:

Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.