Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Honda manual it says to "apply sealer to cam holder and cylinder head contact surfaces"

I am unsure of "what sealer?" And exactly where to put it. Could anyone help me out with these two questions or if there is a picture of where to put the sealer as I cannot really tell by the picture in the manual.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great thanks mate. I have not seen anyone do it in any of the online stuff, just wanted to double check.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Well, just to answer your questions it yoiu apply a gasket sealer to both side of the head gasket and the lip of the cam race you will have done what they said..but most agree sealer is not needed with a OEM head gasket and a good cam seal. But non OEM gaskets you may want to use some head gasket sealer, they tend not to be up to Honda's standards.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Honda gaskets but I don't know how hard it is to change the cam seals.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Cam seal is easy you just push it in after you have the head re-installed..goes in from the front before you put the cam wheel back on..a little vaseline on the rim helps it along and a large socket to drive/push it in may help.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I think what they are referring to is a small dab of sealant on the mating surfaces of the head and cam holder directly adjacent to the cam seal. That's how they come from the factory, and that's how I reassemble. Anytime a seal is fit in two mating pieces, sealant is recommended at the mating surface adjacent to the seal. Nothing in the instructions recommends using any sealant on any part of the head gasket.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Yeah I reread the post I agree they are just talking about the cam end of the head...

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you don't have to take off the timing belt wheel to put the seal on? I still have the wheels attached to the cam.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anything careful to watch out for when taking off the wheels?

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
Anything careful to watch out for when taking off the wheels?
Just hold the wheel so the cam doesn't turn and loosen the bolt.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Dave,

Do you need to mark the wheel and the cam to make sure it goes back in exactly the right spot? I know it's a dumb question but just don't want to mess the timing up. Once the bolt is off the wheel, will it just wiggle off? (nothing else holding it on)

Do you mean hold the wheel in a soft vice and then undo the bolt. I remember reading somewhere once that someone went to put the bolt back on the wheel and torqued it to the Honda specs and snapped the bolt off in the cam. Is there a recomended torque setting for this bolt?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
I think he just meant hold the wheel to keep it from turning while loosening or tightening the bolt. The gear will come off with little effort. It works for me to put a 10mm socket on one of the cover bolts through the holes in the gear. If you haven't loosened the valve adjusters, it will want to move on you, especially the right side. Just let it go where it wants. The key will keep you from getting it off too much. You just have to use a wrench to hold it back to the marks when putting the belts back on.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Mark wheels as to left/right and forward/backward. They're 'keyed' to the cam so you can't get them wrong that way. The Honda torque spec is fine...I use locktight when I reinstall the bolts.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that Dizzy, big help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.