Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am confused by the Kuryakyn instructions for installing their luggage rack and risers to my GL 1800. Instructions for the luggage Rack only do not mention removal of the Inner Trunk lid. Instructions for installing the Risers call for removing the inner lid, disconnecting the electrical under the lid, etc. Has anyone done this and which is the best way? Thanks
Garith

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

First of all, let me be one of the first to welcome you to the best Goldwing Support site in the world!:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Now, onto your question about the trunk rack.

Yes you do have to remove the inner trunk cover and the wiring is not difficult to remove. I remove the remote sensor and then unplug it. Once unplugged, you can reinstall it onto the trunk inner cover for easier installation later once the four holes are drilled.

You will have to drill the inner trunk cover for the 2 rear holes on the trunk rack or the inner cover will bulge inward. Looks a bit odd having 2 bolts hidden and 2 exposed but this seems to be the best way.

Use some masking tape to cover the area where you are going to drill in case the bit wanders and leaves a scratch. You don't want that!

Take your time and line it up straight to thetrunk lid and it will look great!

All the best!:waving:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard garithkart! :waving: :clapper:

Although not from Kuryakyn, this might shed some light on the subject for you

http://www.dragspecialties.com/pdfs/DS-710210.pdf

The risers are a good idea to help spread the weight on the trunk lid to help eliminate/reduce the chances of cracking your lid. Just don't put too much weight up there on them.!

I put them on my 1500 with a Kuryakyn 1500 rack, which required boring out the openings on the trunk risers, but well worth the minimum effort.

I also added some tap washers between the rack and risers and added some large fender washers, on top of the large rubber washers,on the underside of the trunk lid, to cut down on any vibrations.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

When marking for drilling - use the risers for positioning purposes especially at the front (seat edge) of the lid.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks to all that provided suggestions. I hope that the picture shows that your suggestions paid off. The project did not take an extraordinary amount of time. Mr. Fixit's suggestion of top fasteners under the inner trunk lid and bottom(Rear) screws through the inner trunk lid seems to work well. Coordinating installation of the front fasteners to the rack, installation of the inner trunk lid, finally installation of the rear two fasteners to the rack ultimately did not turn out to be difficult. It does require your wife, girlfriend, or buddy to help out a little to keep all the pieces aligned. Most difficult part was trying to decide when everything is centered and square. Everything on the trunk is a curve or an angle and very difficult to measure precisely. The GL 1800 has a centerline on the trunk lid which we worked from and a measurement from the passensger seat upholstery. Plus the good old eyeball for balance. Were we perfect, probably not, but when you pass us on the road you will not be able to tell.

Thanks for helping

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

looks good, got the same rack on the back of mine, finishes it off, word of caution dont overload it

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

LOOKS GREAT Garith! Great job!!:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Too late I see, since you have already fitted the rack, but for anyone else who is thinking of buying and fitting the kuryakyn rack like this..... save your money!!!!:X

I have one on the back of my 1800 which was fitted by the PO and it is the biggest pile of junk I have ever come across, save perhaps for the rear mud guard chrome strip which I finally removed yesterday. The chrome on my rack is peeling off in chunks and it is no more than 2 1/2 years old.

I had a cheap and chearful chrome plated steel one on my 1500 and it was 100% better quality.

I discovered on removing the mudguard chrome tip that it is also made of alluminium, and I suspect that chrome does not take well to alluminium as both bits like that on my bike have failed. If I had paid for those two items, I would now be serverely hacked off, since I know the racks aren't cheap.:X:X

Since it has been drilled into the top box lid I am now fairly much commited to this type of rack and I will therfore be seeing about getting mine powdercoated fairly soon in the hope that that lasts longer than the rubbish finish that Kuryakyn use.

The only decent bit of kit that Kuryakyn produce in my view is the bag that goes on the rack, which is well made.

Sorry for the rant, but I just think their stuff is complete junk and I sincerely hope that you folks that have it fair better than I have.

·
Lock and Key Guru
1,030 Posts
imported post

I can back up what Foxy says, I took a good look at it on Saturday the rack is peeling chrome all over:shock:, andits not that old.I know the bike is well looked after and garaged, Helen the Viking sees to that:DIf I had paid that much for a rack I would expect the chrome to stay on the metal, and its not.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

i have had a rack replaced but the new one has been okay, wonder if there was a batch of them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.