Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Need some input on how to install front fork springs on my 1999 GL1500 SE.

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do! :cooldevil:

I'm sure someone with 1500 experience will be along soon but

Again, Welcome Aboard! :action:

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

take the weight off the front end and let the air out. take out the shrader valves so you don't break them.or loose them. by the way if you do loose one by dropping it down the dark abbyss engine. ??? :(. the auto parts store has them cheap. you just have to re tap the hole. works perfect. uh, so i hear:doh:. i used a 1/2 in ratchet with a long extension on it and unscrew the caps. there wasn't pressure on mine. if you put the progressive springs in there wont be much pressure either. the most important thing is to make sure you don't cross thread the caps. that would be a sad day for you. with the long extension it should give you enough leverage to start turning the caps slow and still apply enough force to push down without fitting to hard. i've done my 1200 and 1500 like that. good luck

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The Progessive springs require a lot of pressure to compress them and hold them compressed while threading the fork caps back on the fork tubes. I was worried about damaging the threads of the fork tubes so Imade a simple wooden jig to do the job. If you go to Rudy's site you can see how it works.

http://goldwingtech.info/exavid/forktool.html

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

exavid, now you have me worried. when i did mine it wasn't much trouble at all. i did them a couple of times to change the fork oil. i'm pretty sure i had the right springs. the only problem i had on the 1500 is that i dropped the shrader valve and it instanly disapeared never to be seen again. :shock:. but the tool does look handy to have.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

beachbuddy0253 wrote:
exavid, now you have me worried. when i did mine it wasn't much trouble at all.
It could be just 'cause I'm getting old and feeble :cooldevil:, but those springs took a lot of pressure to compress and I was worried about cross-threading the caps.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

I recently changed my springs with progressive's on my 1100 and was able to install using a rag to protect my hand. Although a tool would have been nice;)

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

One trick I use when installing the Fork Cap is to use a piece of PVC pipe that the Fork Cap will fit into as a guide. Of course the forks are still on the bike when I use the PVC section of pipe. I believe it is about 4" long.

I just set it over the fork and let it rest on the triple tree. Then put the Fork Cap in it and push it down to the top of the spring. Then with a Speed Ratchet or regular ratchet with the right size socket I press down on the Fork Cover. Of course my body weight is over the ratchet so I can get all the leverage I can. Then I push down and once I am sure I am in the right position I begin to turn the Fork Cap.

This also works great when you have to take the Fork Cap off with the forks still on the bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.