Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My father-in-law taught me this 40 years ago.

Cut a section of hose and slip it over the plug to give you something to grip when installing plugs. It gives a better feel when starting the threads and you'll never cross thread a plug again. I've used up to 4 inches to access remote locations and the feel is better than a plug socket.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Very good.....thanx.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Read that tip in Cycle World (I think) back in the early 70's. A piece of hose the right size has been in my CB750 tool kit ever since.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

. Vacuum hose is good. The trick is to find a piece that doesn't have a curve in it.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I still prefer to use a deepwell socket with a long extension on it, no ratchet handle. The long extenstion helps keep the socket in line with the plug hole and the extension allows hand turning but not enough torque to cross thread the plug. I also lay a piece of paper across the socket before I press the plug into it. That snugs the plug in the socket enough to hold the plug in the socket and prevent it from falling out. One thing for sure is to put a bit of aluminum anti-seize on the bottom couple of plug threads to prevent future galling in the aluminum head.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

All good tips. Another is to save the spark plug boot off an old set of wires. Some of them are really long, always straight and fit perfect. The 45 and 90 degree ones don't work as good. :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

I like to use a regular deep socket with an electric impact drill. Even if you get it cross-threaded, that plug goes right in. :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

The first garage I ever worked in had a Jaguar mech that was a Buddist mediator that could levate the plugs into the V12 holes.
I used a piece of hardened hose - 1952 tech

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I like to use a regular deep socket with an electric impact drill. Even if you get it cross-threaded, that plug goes right in. :shock:
After reading THAT, I think I've tumbled to the issue behind your "Why ain't we ridin'?"
sign off!:cheeky1:

T.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Why use wimp tools?
With a good air impact you could pull the threads out of the head and examine them for wear on your bench.:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,749 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Why use wimp tools?
With a good air impact you could pull the threads out of the head and examine them for wear on your bench.:ROFL::ROFL:
I only use air tools to torque down the 'portant stuff. You know, carb jets and such.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

Dennis Since you are such an accomplished mechanic let me give you another tip that you are overlooking on the Carb jet's

RED LOCTITE

Actually on the spark plug's a little Dielectric grease on the threads keeps em from sticking as well as on the top of the plug to keep out water :smiler:

KG6QBB
Macabre Character

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.