Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been trying to install the starter for at least two hours not able to get it into the gear , dose any one know of a way to get it in correctly ? I put a large amount of grease on to the chain to keep in place but it still moves >

HELP !!!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Uhhh, which bike?

Is this the same starter that came out of the bike earlier? Or a new one?

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

it is a new one but i did measure it with calipers and it is the same as much as i can tell if you have ever replaced one before it is a bitch , kind of a stupid way of re-installing for Honda

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

Hello Guy and welcome . If this is a new replacement starter from say ebay , take out your sprocket (which you greased to the chain) and see if it fits the shaft splines. If the sprocket easily slips on the new shaft , then you just have to continue to jiggle and shake till it fits into place .

Now I have to look up Citru Springs , I dont know that location .

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Guy10596 wrote:
it is a new one but i did measure it with calipers and it is the same as much as i can tell if you have ever replaced one before it is a bitch , kind of a stupid way of re-installing for Honda
I've had my starter out several times and it was a breeze. But with a brand new starter should come with a new gear. Sometime the splines on a new starter doesn't fit the old gear.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I am going to try it again in the morning but i have done this several times would rather change a stator ! thanks

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Okay make shure bike is on sidestand not centerstand. Are you shure its the sprocket thats stopping it. sometimes its the starter body itself needs greese on the flange and lots of push. Like others have said take the sproket out and make shure it slides on the shaft easily. I would think that grease on the sproket would be a bad thing not letting the shaft slide into the sprocket.Clean sproket of grease and shaft and just put a little light oil on them to lube them.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
6,638 Posts
imported post

Be careful using grease on anything that is internal the engine. Grease has a very high melt point and can "ball up" and restrict oil from going to the oil pump. Cold vaseline is a better choice as it melts and disappears at about 100 degrees.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If your old starter sprocket fits the new motor, I suggest re-using it. Sometimes new sprockets are a bit off and won't line up central to the starter motor.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

BTW do you really own all the Goldwings in your profile, or did you just get trigger happy when you were ticking the boxes? ;)

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

Guy10596 wrote:
Oh Citrus springs is central west coast Florida
Ok , I am familiar with that place .

I hope your able to get the starter back in place . The weather should be great today for riding .

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

OnaWingandaPrayer wrote:
Hello Guy and welcome . If this is a new replacement starter from say ebay , take out your sprocket (which you greased to the chain) and see if it fits the shaft splines. If the sprocket easily slips on the new shaft , then you just have to continue to jiggle and shake till it fits into place .
:waving:if the gear fits on the starter shaft it should be ok. most of the time when a new starter is used a gear comes with it. use the new gear.

also be carefull of the splines on the out put shaft on the starter. they are soft and get damaged .

if you have taken out the chain drive gear ( just reach in the hole and lift it out of the chain) the shouldered end faces the front of the bike when you put it back in.

hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

I have own them all , i restore them paint and then sell them before i get attached , thats why i dont name them ha ha

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I just noticed you where from the UK i worked over there for a month at a time just outside London, at a place called WTI they installed and maintained the scale systems in the garbage trucks , we where out of Connecticut but never did much in the states , I restore bikes cause airplanes wont fit in the garage Been in aviation all me life
727-200 flight engineer
pilot
A&P

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

someone mentioned you need to have the bike on its side stand and i did that it went right in , son of a gun , now i have wires that are wrong or bad solenoid it keeps running after pushing the start button, by the look of the wires on this bike someone took it apart but forgot how to put it back together , i am in for a long run with this one i think !
thanks for everyone's help !!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I haven't road in 30 years , my knee's are so bad not sure if they will hold me up if i have to lean for a amount of time i have a 1979 with 32000 miles on it that i am also restoring i would kind of like to keep that one it is in unbelievable shape !!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.